Requesting WWII-era Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Requesting WWII-era Italian Military Records

Postby Liberati » 15 Feb 2014, 14:39

I am interested in trying to get copies of the military service records of Brig. Gen. Amedeo Liberati (a possible relative) who commanded the 65th "Grenadiers of Savoy" division in Ethiopia during WWII. He surrendered with his forces to the British in May 1941 and was most likely a POW in Kenya for the rest of the war. On a previous post, I got some help in determining that he survived the war and was awarded the Military Order of Italy in 1948. Also, as of 1950 he was living in Rieti, where he was active in their local Rotary Club.

He was born around 1883 and I think he was born in Rieti. He could have also been born next door in the city of L'Aquila, which is the general area from where my line of Liberatis originate. Anyways, should I try to write to both provinces to see if they have his records? If anyone has done business with those particular provincial archives, is it better to email them or send them a letter? Also, what specifically should I write in my request? Do I need to include a copy of a photo ID as well? Thanks in advance for your help!
Interested in the surnames Liberati and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati

Re: Requesting WWII-era Italian Military Records

Postby Jdawg » 01 May 2014, 00:56

Interested in locating information on my father-in-law who was an Italian POW in Africa. He was a telegraph operator and some photos he had were labeled Dessie, Africa dated Aug. & Oct. 1940.
I have contacted the Italian Consulate in our area and am waiting patiently for an response. I also checked out the largest camp in South Africa called Zonderwater. It has a great website with names and a photo gallery.
Any help would be appreciated. Need to be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks.
Jdawg

Postby adelfio » 01 May 2014, 15:08

You need place of birth and year of birth classe di nascita to send for a Italian military record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Jdawg » 01 May 2014, 19:23

His name is Mario Mendicino. Born in Cosenza Sept. 3,1915. Where would I send this request? What other info would they need? I do not have his regiment or where he was held as a POW. That is the mystery I need to solve for my husband's family.
Thanks.
Jdawg

Postby adelfio » 01 May 2014, 22:31

Try the email first no response in 30 days go postal
E-mail: as-cs@beniculturali.it
Archivio di Stato di Cosenza
Via Gian Vincenzo Gravina 12
87100 Cosenza (CS)
Italy
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Mario Mendicino classe di nascita 1915.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Cosenza. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di Mario Mendicino nato a Cosenza il 1915.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Jdawg » 02 May 2014, 00:50

Step one begins. Thank you so much!
Jdawg

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy