Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 04 Mar 2014, 23:24

Hello. I am looking for information on Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace. Ottaviano was born in 1813 in Prata Sannita. His first wife was Vittoria Conca. Ottaviano's second wife was Maria Luigia Iannace, who was from Raviscanina. Ottaviano and Maria Luigia had one child that survived infancy: Vittoria Vincenza Pesaturo, born in 1867. In 1882, Ottaviano, Maria Luigia, and Vittoria immigrated to Newark, New Jersey. Ottaviano's other children from his marriage with Vittoria Conca immigrated a decade later. Ottiaviano died on 13 September 1891 in Newark, but I am unable to find any information or census records for Maria Luigia. I also cannot find any information on Vittoria other than she moved to New York and married three times to Rocco DiDio, Nicola Mastriano, and Giuseppe Rosso. She apparently had legal issues with her half-brother Francesco Pesaturo, a reverend in Newark. I would appreciate any help in finding any census or death information for Maria Luigia and Vittoria. I would also like some insight as to where Ottaviano and his family may be buried. Thanks.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Mar 2014, 21:27

Amansolillo wrote:Hello. I am looking for information on Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace. Ottaviano was born in 1813 in Prata Sannita. His first wife was Vittoria Conca. Ottaviano's second wife was Maria Luigia Iannace, who was from Raviscanina. Ottaviano and Maria Luigia had one child that survived infancy: Vittoria Vincenza Pesaturo, born in 1867. In 1882, Ottaviano, Maria Luigia, and Vittoria immigrated to Newark, New Jersey. Ottaviano's other children from his marriage with Vittoria Conca immigrated a decade later. Ottiaviano died on 13 September 1891 in Newark, but I am unable to find any information or census records for Maria Luigia. I also cannot find any information on Vittoria other than she moved to New York and married three times to Rocco DiDio, Nicola Mastriano, and Giuseppe Rosso. She apparently had legal issues with her half-brother Francesco Pesaturo, a reverend in Newark. I would appreciate any help in finding any census or death information for Maria Luigia and Vittoria. I would also like some insight as to where Ottaviano and his family may be buried. Thanks.


POSSIBLE 1910 Census for the half-brother, Francesco Pesaturo, living in CONNECTICUT
His occupation is listed as clergyman.
Also living with him are two boarders: John Pesaturo, age 64(?), and Antonio DiDio, age 20

1910 United States Federal Census about Henrietta Paseturo in household of Francesco Paseturo
Name: Henrietta Paseturo
[Henrietta Pesaturo]
Age in 1910: 66
Birth Year: abt 1844
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: New Haven Ward 4, New Haven, Connecticut
Race: White
Gender: Female
Immigration Year: 1883
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Francesco Paseturo
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Francesco Paseturo 53 (listed as clergyman)
Henrietta Paseturo 66
Christina Paseturo 23
John Paseturo 64
Antonio Didio 20

Link on Ancestry - family #152
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/31 ... turnRecord

Also... do not know if you have this info on Ottaviano death in New Jersey
His death certificate should identify where he is buried.

New Jersey, Deaths and Burials Index, 1798-1971 about Ottaviano Pesaturo
Name: Ottaviano Pesaturo
Birth Date: abt 1813
Death Date: 13 Sep 1891
Death Place: Newark, Essex, New Jersey

Death Age: 78 years
Gender: Male
FHL Film Number: 589789

T.

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 05 Mar 2014, 22:37

I have both of those records. I will need to look into where Ottaviano is buried. That is the correct Francesco. In that census record, a John Pesaturo is listed. That is not I name I have in my family tree and I've tried to find a connection, but I've had no luck. Additionally, the Anthony DiDio in the census is the son of Vittoria Pesaturo. He was born in 1890 in New York, but I've been unable to find him in the 1900 census. He also had a sister, Maria Luigia DiDio, born in 1886 in New York. I have had no luck finding anything on her. Vittoria and her first husband Rocco DiDio also had a son born in 1895 whose name is unknown. I believe he may not have survived infancy. According to a 1896 newspaper, Anthony and Maria Luigia DiDio were placed in foster care due to Vittoria apparently being an unfit mother. According to the newspaper article, Vittoria had an illegimate son with Luigi Parziale in 1894, whom she also had legal issues with. Their son (name unknown) was also placed in foster care.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Mar 2014, 17:49

Amansolillo wrote:I have both of those records. I will need to look into where Ottaviano is buried. That is the correct Francesco. In that census record, a John Pesaturo is listed. That is not I name I have in my family tree and I've tried to find a connection, but I've had no luck. Additionally, the Anthony DiDio in the census is the son of Vittoria Pesaturo. He was born in 1890 in New York, but I've been unable to find him in the 1900 census. He also had a sister, Maria Luigia DiDio, born in 1886 in New York. I have had no luck finding anything on her. Vittoria and her first husband Rocco DiDio also had a son born in 1895 whose name is unknown. I believe he may not have survived infancy. According to a 1896 newspaper, Anthony and Maria Luigia DiDio were placed in foster care due to Vittoria apparently being an unfit mother. According to the newspaper article, Vittoria had an illegimate son with Luigi Parziale in 1894, whom she also had legal issues with. Their son (name unknown) was also placed in foster care.


Do you have her birth certificate? (from New York City Index)

Didio Maria L Jun 13 1886 #460007 Manhattan

And Antonio's born in Feb 1890.
Didio Antonio Feb 1 1890 #4243 Manhattan

Do you have this Emergency Passport Request for Antonio Di Dio in 1907?
Residence in US is in Connecticut... student
He had left USA in 1902, and was requesting a passport at the Consulate in Rome in 1907.
So we won't find him in the 1905 New York Census :-(
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1174/32 ... 0027-00874


U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 about Antonio Di Dio
Name: Antonio Di Dio
Birth Date: 1 Feb 1890
Birth Place: New York New York
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Passport Issue Date: 8 May 1907
Passport Includes a Photo: No
Residence: New Haven

This Yale University yearbook link for 1911, gives an address for Antonio at 85 Lafayette St., New Haven, Connecticut - so agrees with 1910 Census above.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1265/31 ... turnRecord

Interesting 1900 Census in Brooklyn, NY - can not really connect this... commonalities include father - Rocco Di Dio, and child, John, having a birthdate of Feb 1890,and birthplace of NYC :?

1900 United States Federal Census about John Didio
Name: John Didio
[John Di Dio]
[John Didier]
Age: 10
Birth Date: Feb 1890
Birthplace: New York
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 14, Kings, New York
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Rocco Irino
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's name: Grace Didio
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Rocco Irino 40 (written clearly as DiDio)
Grace Didio 47 (too old to be Vittoria, but there are many errors on US censuses)
John Didio 10 (birthdate of Feb 1890)
Annie Didio 5
Frank Narvero 28

Have you seen this POSSIBLE death record index for Maria Di Dio?
Age is about right...

Didia Maria 56y Oct 29 1940 #22297 Manhattan

T.

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Mar 2014, 19:24

HERE is the Possible 1900 Census for Maria Luigia Di Dio and Antonio Di Dio :-D
This one is a very good possibility...

They are listed on Lines 86 and 87 as
Louisia [Luigia?] Dia, niece, age 14, with a dob of May 1886
Tonney [Tony/Antonio?] Dia, nephew, age 10, with dob of Feb 1890

I have seen the surname spelled this way in the articles about their mother and Rev. Pesaturo

They are residing in Newark in 1900 with Testo Pesaturo and his wife Annie at 103 Warren St.
Also living with them is Testo's mother, Henrietti,
and his children "Consterina" age 20, and "Nichola" age 23.

I am including 2 links in Ancestry.
The census for this family is split between two pages. You will see the note in the margin by the census taker.
Sheet 17 - lines 86 and 87
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... 0419_00325

Sheet 16 - lines 89, 90, 91
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... 0419_00323

T.

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 06 Mar 2014, 21:40

Testo Pesaturo is most likely Francesco Pesaturo. The years match up. However. Henrietta (who is listed as his mother), is actually his wife. The listing of Annie as being his wife must have been a mistake on the record taker's part.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Mar 2014, 23:02

Amansolillo wrote:Testo Pesaturo is most likely Francesco Pesaturo. The years match up. However. Henrietta (who is listed as his mother), is actually his wife. The listing of Annie as being his wife must have been a mistake on the record taker's part.


Anthony DiDio in the census is the son of Vittoria Pesaturo. He was born in 1890 in New York, but I've been unable to find him in the 1900 census. He also had a sister, Maria Luigia DiDio, born in 1886 in New York. I have had no luck finding anything on her.


So this is the 1900 Census for Maria Luigia and Antonio Di Dio?

Disregarding the age that the census taker has recorded for her, could the "Annie" listed there possibly be Vittoria? Did Rocco Di Dio die in 1899?

T.

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 06 Mar 2014, 23:28

I'm not sure when exactly Rocco DiDio died. Considering Maria Luigia and Antonio were to be placed in foster care in 1896 and lived with their uncle for some time, I believe Rocco DiDio may have died before 1896. The "Annie" listed in the census may also be Henrietta. Henrietta in Italian is Enrichetta, which could have been heard as "Annie" by the census taker. Additionally, both "Annie" and Henrietta's information are the same. Henrietta was probably later added as being Francesco's mother due to how much older she was than him.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Mar 2014, 23:54

Amansolillo wrote:I'm not sure when exactly Rocco DiDio died. Considering Maria Luigia and Antonio were to be placed in foster care in 1896 and lived with their uncle for some time, I believe Rocco DiDio may have died before 1896. The "Annie" listed in the census may also be Henrietta. Henrietta in Italian is Enrichetta, which could have been heard as "Annie" by the census taker. Additionally, both "Annie" and Henrietta's information are the same. Henrietta was probably later added as being Francesco's mother due to how much older she was than him.


Not the number of children born and still living... see the columns after the marriage years

T.

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 07 Mar 2014, 00:00

I must have glanced over that quickly. That's quite the conundrum. Can any records be found of Ottaviano and Maria Luigia Iannace?
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Mar 2014, 01:24

Amansolillo wrote:I must have glanced over that quickly. That's quite the conundrum. Can any records be found of Ottaviano and Maria Luigia Iannace?


Not successful, yet. Been looking since you posted the query.

Did you contact New Jersey Vital Records about Ottaviano's burial information?

T.

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 07 Mar 2014, 01:49

I first called the state cemetery board to ask if they could find where Ottaviano is buried. They told me that I would have to call the New Jersey Department of Vital Records. I then called the them, and I was told that I would need to call the state archives. When I called the state archives, I was told that death and burial information cannot be shared over the phone and that I would need to write to the archive and pay for a copy of Ottaviano's death certificate. :?
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite
Posts: 268
Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
Location: NJ

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Joannsalvo » 07 Mar 2014, 01:56

Unfortunately, I am having issues logging in to ancestry.com but there was a death record for Ottaviano. There was a Film number listed where you could rent the film from familysearch.org and view it at your local Family History Center.

Have you seen this on ancestry?

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 232
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 21:03
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Amansolillo » 07 Mar 2014, 02:03

I have not seen it on Ancestry (I haven't been subscribed for a while). I just found it on FamilySearch. I will probably order the film.

On FamilySearch, I incidentally found Maria Luigia DiDio in the 1905 census staying with Caroline Pesaturo, one of Francesco's daughters.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

User avatar
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite
Posts: 268
Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
Location: NJ

Re: Ottaviano Pesaturo and Maria Luigia Iannace

Postby Joannsalvo » 07 Mar 2014, 02:08

I figured out my ancestry problem.

New Jersey, Deaths and Burials Index, 1798-1971 about Ottaviano Pesaturo
Name: Ottaviano Pesaturo
Birth Date: abt 1813
Death Date: 13 Sep 1891
Death Place: Newark, Essex, New Jersey
Death Age: 78 years
Gender: Male
FHL Film Number: 589789

It may or may not have his place of burial but it is worth a shot.


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests