Cavalli family from Alpe di Bedonia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
alvyarin

Cavalli family from Alpe di Bedonia

Postby alvyarin » 06 Mar 2014, 05:40

Hello, everyone! My grandfather came to America with his mother when he was very young and then actually ran away from home, so we know very little about his side of the family. I'm hoping to find more. I was able to acquire his birth certificate, so I know he (Aldo Cavalli) was born on May 19, 1920 in Alpe di Bedonia to Caterina Manfredi and Alessandro Cavalli (certificate attached).

What I'd really like to find are the birth records for Caterina and Alessandro, but because my grandfather was estranged from his mother and his father had passed away when he was very young, I have no information besides their names and the town they lived in and I assume were born in.

If there is not information available easily online, how is the best way to go about getting those records? Is it likely they'll be held at a church or a government office? If I want to search their archives, do I need to make an appointment or have any particular credentials? If I am unable to make it there in person, can I request the documents via mail (even though I have very, very little to go on)?

Thank you for any assistance! I am very hopeful we can solve some of the mystery of my grandfather's life and history. =)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Cavalli family from Alpe di Bedonia

Postby adelfio » 06 Mar 2014, 15:55

There are microfilms of Bedonia at the Family History Library of Registri dello stato civile di Bedonia (Parma), 1806-1910 Births, marriages, deaths, citizenship records, ten-year indexes from the civil registration office in Bedonia, Parma, Italy that you can rent and view Since Alpe is a frazione(suburb) of Bedonia the records would be held there

PAGE LINK TO LIST OF FILMS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

PAGE LINK TO Church records of Alpe on film at Family History Library Baptisms, confirmations, marriages, marriage documents
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 06 Mar 2014, 16:26

What you have is a extract of birth if you get the birth act you can get more info on the parents you can write for that record to the town of Bedonia then you can figure the years of their births and marriage

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Bedonia
Piazza Caduti per la Patria 1
43041 Bedonia (PR)
ITALY

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Aldo Cavalli di Alessandro
Atto num:45 anno 1920

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Bedonia. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Aldo Cavalli
Nome e cognome del padre: Alessandro Cavalli
Nome e cognome della madre: Caterina Manfredi
Luogo di nascita: Bedonia
Data di nascita: Maggio 19,1920
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

alvyarin

Postby alvyarin » 06 Mar 2014, 17:45

Thank you so very much, Marty. This is perfect. I'll try the letter to Bedonia and see what I am able to get in return! Hopefully there will be enough information to research further back in time.

Do I need to specify in the letter that I want the birth act and not the extract? Or by saying "birth certificate" will they know what I'm after?

I do sincerely appreciate your time!
-Ariana

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 07 Mar 2014, 01:21

I told them you want a photo copy of the birth act

Marty

Marty

alvyarin

Postby alvyarin » 07 Mar 2014, 01:29

Wonderful -- thank you again =)

gcav

Postby gcav » 15 Aug 2014, 19:49

alvyarin,

Your post caught my eye, as my Cavalli ancestors also came to the US from Alpe di Bedonia. Perhaps we're related. My great-grandfather was Giovanni Cavalli. He was born May 25 1888 in Alpe. He arrived in the United States on the S.S. La Provence, which sailed from Havre, in February 1911, along with his father Antonio and his younger brother Constantino. They listed their last address in Italy as Bedonia and their closest relative there as Adele Cavalli, who was Antonio's daughter and Giovanni's sister. Giovanni named one of his daughters, my beloved Aunt Della, after his sister. According to my grandfather, Giovanni's mother was Caterina Lusardi, also of Bedonia. She apparently died prior to 1911 as Antonio is classified on the passenger list as a widower.

alvyarin

Postby alvyarin » 26 Aug 2014, 18:29

As I mentioned in my message to you, I am sure we must be connected in some way. =) I am working on getting Alessandro's birth certificate from Italy (Caterina's I was able to find online -- she actually is from Marseilles, France) to see what information I can glean from it. It may be that I have to go to Italy myself to retrieve it, though.

I will also have to ask my dad if he's heard the name Giovanni before, or Adele (my grandfather has passed away at this point).

Return to “Italian Genealogy”