Olmo and Vuoso in Ischia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
snillocr

Olmo and Vuoso in Ischia

Postby snillocr » 08 Mar 2014, 18:02

Antonio Olmo, born in Naples on 13 Dec 1864, was my Great Grandfather. He married Teresa Vuoso on 10 May 1897 in Barano d'Ischia, Italy. He died about 1945 in Ischia. I have been able to find some information on Teresa but absolutely nothing on Antonio. I did find their wedding certificate and the name listed for his parents looks like "Ignoto" but there is nothing more. I'm not sure if it's a first or last name and it is listed for both his mother and father. The family story is that he was adopted by a family who let him keep his given name and that he was born out of wedlock to a young girl who's family had money and were embarrassed by the pregnancy.

Antonio and Teresa had 9 children, my Grandfather Francesco Olmo, was one of them.

I would love to find out more about Antonio.

Thanks!
Terri Delorme Collins

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Olmo and Vuoso in Ischia

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Mar 2014, 18:07

snillocr wrote:Antonio Olmo, born in Naples on 13 Dec 1864, was my Great Grandfather. He married Teresa Vuoso on 10 May 1897 in Barano d'Ischia, Italy. He died about 1945 in Ischia. I have been able to find some information on Teresa but absolutely nothing on Antonio. I did find their wedding certificate and the name listed for his parents looks like "Ignoto" but there is nothing more. I'm not sure if it's a first or last name and it is listed for both his mother and father. The family story is that he was adopted by a family who let him keep his given name and that he was born out of wedlock to a young girl who's family had money and were embarrassed by the pregnancy.

Antonio and Teresa had 9 children, my Grandfather Francesco Olmo, was one of them.

I would love to find out more about Antonio.

Thanks!
Terri Delorme Collins

"Ignoto" means that his parents are "unknown"
His given name would most likely have been a "fantasy" name, one made up by the official, and not found in the town. It would not have been the surname of either of his parents unless they were to acknowledge him, and it appears they did not.

T.

snillocr

Postby snillocr » 08 Mar 2014, 18:15

Thank you. I did not know that. Seems like I'm at a dead end :(

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Mar 2014, 18:38

snillocr wrote:Thank you. I did not know that. Seems like I'm at a dead end :(

I searched for a birth record in 1863-1865, but did not find one. :-)
edit: and just found that marriage record you mentioned... It identifies his birthplace as Napoli- Sezione Mercato! :-) Another place to look!

It was a quick search, so I may go back and take another look if no one else here at the forum has found them.

T.

snillocr

Postby snillocr » 08 Mar 2014, 21:21

Thank you!!! I don't speak Italian and am not sure where to look so any help you, or anyone else, can give me is greatly appreciated.

snillocr

Postby snillocr » 19 Sep 2015, 17:30

I have since found out that my great grandfather was brought to an orphanage "Annunziata" by a well to do Spanish woman and later brought to Ischia. I was told his mother's last name was Olmo. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”