Renzulli family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
phines

Renzulli family

Postby phines » 09 Mar 2014, 04:04

My grandfather was Fortunato Renzulli, born in 1878 in Naples, Italy. Fortunato arrived in America in 1902. I know he had a sister Anna, who was born in 1883, and a brother Cristofaro, who was born in 1865 and was the first to arrive in America in either 1888 or 1897. Their mother was Rosaria Dattolo or Daffolo and arrived in America with Anna in 1902. I believe she was a widow. On her death certificate, her husband is listed as John. But I also believe my grandfather had other brothers, possibly Giuseppe or Giuseppo, and Michael or Michele. It is these brothers I am trying to find. Two men by those names died in Westport, Connecticut, but their death certificates do not match information for my grandfather.
My grandfather married Mary or Maria DeMattia, born in 1889 in San Michele di Serino, Italy, in America probably around 1910. He was 10 years her senior.
Any help in finding my grandfather's brothers would be appreciated.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Renzulli family

Postby suanj » 09 Mar 2014, 12:57

Hi Michelangelo Renzulli and Cristofaro Renzulli arrived in USA on 24 Feb 1897, Ems ship:
First Name: Crist...fare ...
Last Name: Renzulli
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Naples
Date of Arrival: Feb 24, 1897
Age at Arrival: 33y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Ems
Port of Departure: Genoa, Naples & Gibraltar
Manifest Line Number: 0016

First Name: Michelangelo ...
Last Name: Renzulli
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Naples
Date of Arrival: Feb 24, 1897
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Ems
Port of Departure: Genoa, Naples & Gibraltar
Manifest Line Number: 0015

http://s16.postimg.org/sofus5fmd/renzul ... angelo.jpg

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

phines

Postby phines » 14 Mar 2014, 14:44

Thank you so much. I cannot believe I missed that on that particular passenger record, which I also found prior to contacting you. I also have an earlier passenger record that says Cristofaro Renzulli arrived in 1888 from Italy. It is possible he returned to Italy in 1897 to accompany his brother to America? That's my guess. I'm wondering what you think.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Mar 2014, 15:33

phines wrote:My grandfather was Fortunato Renzulli, born in 1878 in Naples, Italy. Fortunato arrived in America in 1902. I know he had a sister Anna, who was born in 1883, and a brother Cristofaro, who was born in 1865 and was the first to arrive in America in either 1888 or 1897. Their mother was Rosaria Dattolo or Daffolo and arrived in America with Anna in 1902. I believe she was a widow. On her death certificate, her husband is listed as John. But I also believe my grandfather had other brothers, possibly Giuseppe or Giuseppo, and Michael or Michele. It is these brothers I am trying to find. Two men by those names died in Westport, Connecticut, but their death certificates do not match information for my grandfather.
My grandfather married Mary or Maria DeMattia, born in 1889 in San Michele di Serino, Italy, in America probably around 1910. He was 10 years her senior.
Any help in finding my grandfather's brothers would be appreciated.

On suanj's :D manifest posting, though it is VERY difficult to read, it looks like both Michele and Cristofaro are listed "fu Giovanni" - which means "son of deceased Giovanni" - It would agree with Rosaria's DC listing her husband as "John" which is the Americanized Giovanni :-)

Just an FYI - destinations for the two brothers on the manifest are different.
Michele is going to New York, and Cristofaro is going to South Newcastle.

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”