Vito FAVARA + Vincenza AGNELLO, FAVARA, LANZARONE, LARUSSA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Vito FAVARA + Vincenza AGNELLO, FAVARA, LANZARONE, LARUSSA

Post by BlissIs »

My daughter has been told she looks exactly like her GGM Giuseppa Antionette (Josephine) FAVARA, born about 1889 in CASTELVETRANO, Tapani, Sicily. Giuseppa married Antonino LANZARONE, a barber, in NYC, soon after her arrival in 1903. Their daughter, Gilda Rose LANZARONE (born in NYC in 1926) married Frank LARUSSA (of Castelvetrano ancestry and born in NYC in 1923) in Brooklyn, New York.

At that 1948 LARUSSA wedding an elderly, Sicilian-speaking, very well-mannered and well-dressed woman paid respect and bowed to Gilda because of her royal heritage.

I've had no luck locating any details on Gilda Lanzarone LaRussa's Italian ancestry other than Daryn Favara message board entries from around 2000 which mentions same scenario my daughter has heard since her youth:

A relative of Giuseppa, named VITO FAVARA, was a Mayor marrried to VINCENZA AGNELLO. Vito was shot while standing on a balcony protesting MUSSOLINI. I don't know where or when. Mussolini had formed the Fascist Party in 1919 and his organized "Black Shirts" terrorized opponents. Admittedly, in my research I have learned "mayor" can also be a term of respect for a businessman. I have also noted there are towns named Agnello and Favara....still no luck.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for responding.
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY