Great grandfather Rovigo province

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Great grandfather Rovigo province

Postby mentecuerpo » 13 Mar 2014, 06:56

Dear forum expert researchers:

First of all, I want to congratulate you for the fine work you do providing advice and guidance in this forum. I am learning a lot by reading some posts.

This is my predicament and I am sharing this in hope of some helpful advice.
I need help obtaining documents from a church in Melara, but I don't know where to start.

I am pretty sure where to find and obtain the certificate of baptism of my great-grandfather Marcello Basaglia. The problem is that I live in USA and the researcher I hired told me that there are no public records in Rovigo at the time of Marcello baptism, this is what my researcher said: "Yes I can obtain just the civil certificates, but for bad luck in Rovigo province the civil certificates starting just from 1871... so I am no helpful..."

My researcher also told me that she does not request documents from churches or priests because in 13 years of work in the field, he has only been able to obtain 3 certificates, and that requesting documents from church is very difficult and usually leads to nowhere due to uncooperative behaviors from church officials.

Thank you very much for your help.

Any suggestions to this case will be very appreciated.

Here are the biographical information:

Marcello Basaglia (son Francesco Basaglia y Teresa Borghi) immigraged with his parents to Guatemala, with his siblings: Liduina(or Liduvina), Anselmo y Bernado(or Bernardino Basaglia was born in Correggioli hamlet of OSTIGLIA commune (Municipio in Mantova Province, Italy.
Liduina: birth 11 apr 1867 Correggioli
Anselmo: birth 7 May 1860 Correggioli
Bernardo: birth 22 May 1870 Correggioli

Marcello, my grandfather, had two marriages, the first one in Guatemala and had two children, then he remarried to my great-grandmother in Guatemala, then immigrated to El Salvador, where he died in September,1938 (I have a copy of his death certificate). My great-grandmother's name is Carolina Ceroni Tonara.

I wish to obtain the baptism certificate helpful for dual citizenship request.

Fue bautizado en la Iglesia de San Materno Vescovo que está en la Plaza 20 de septiembre, Melara.
Lo bautizaron con el nombre de Marcello Agostino hijo de Francesco Basaglia y Teresa Borghi el primero de agosto de 1,863.

This is what my researcher emailed me:

Yes I can obtain just the civil certificates, but for bad luck in Rovigo province the civil certificates starting just from 1871... so I am no helpful...
You need the "Certificato di Battesimo legalizzato dalla Curia con marca da bollo per la richiesta di cittadinanza italiana"
and
" Certificato di Battesimo in carta libera" for your private use
of
" BASAGLIA Marcello Agostino battezzato nella chiesa di San Materno di Melara il 1 Agosto 1863, figlio di Basaglia Francesco e Borghi Teresa"
Best regards,
mentecuerpo

Re: Great grandfather Rovigo province

Postby paola52 » 15 Mar 2014, 20:38

Hi
This is the address ofof the parish of San Materno in Melara
Parrocchia San Materno Vescovo
Piazza XX Settembre, 4
45037 Melara, (RO

But I'd start with the Archive of the Curia, where the copies of all the parish documents are usually stored.
They should be able to help you
archiviocuria@diocesi.rovigo.it
Director Mons. Bruno Cappati

Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan
paola52
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mentecuerpo » 21 Mar 2014, 16:06

Thank you very much Paola, I will follow this links. Today I will write a letter with the help of my Italian language teacher. I will post the results.

Ciao, Roberto.
mentecuerpo

Postby mentecuerpo » 05 Apr 2014, 02:38

Dear Forum, this is what I got so far this week:
Any suggestions how to proceed from now? Thank you.

These are the two emails I have received from the church (Emil 1) and the Town Hall (Email 2):

Email 1:

Gent. Sig. Bracamonte,
il certificato di nascita del suo avo verrà spedito nei prossimi giorni. La informo però che il nome riportato nei registri è BASAGLIA MARCELLO ANGELO.

Cordiali saluti.

dott. Marco De Poli
collaboratore d'archivio

Email 2:

Egr. Signor Bracamonte
con riferimento a Sua richiesta pervenuta via mail in data 25.03.2014 inerente la ricerca dell’atto di nascita del sig. Basaglia Marcello Agostino, sono spiacente comunicare che da ricerche effettuate sia sui registri di Stato Civile che negli archivi anagrafici nulla è stato rinvenuto a nome dello stesso.
Dalla lettura comunque della Sua richiesta si evince che lo stesso fu battezzato nel 1863, pertanto presumendo che sia nato nello stesso anno, e che gli atti di stato civile decorrono solamente dal 1871, per la ricerca di atti più vecchi si consiglia di inoltrare le richieste presso le parrocchie.

Cordiali saluti
Anagrafe Ostiglia
L’Ufficiale d’Anagrafe delegato: Morena Ferraresi
mentecuerpo

Postby paola52 » 10 Apr 2014, 00:05

Hi!
The Comune confirmed that their civil records start in 1871.
The church archive says that they found the record , but with a slightly different name: Basaglia Marcello Angelo, and not Agostino. They are sending you the birth certificate. Hopefully the different name is not a problem for your dual citizenship request!
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan
paola52
Veteran
Veteran

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy