Using social security records for research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Using social security records for research

Postby rp76226 » 13 Mar 2014, 23:42

Though not an Italian record, I'm hoping that someone knows how to get more information, particularly, the name of a spouse, off a social security death record without paying for the privilege. Even if you pay ancestry.com, you do not get the spousal information.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Using social security records for research

Postby nuccia » 15 Mar 2014, 00:09

Sometimes - but not always - you can figure out the spouse based on the place of death. You would then need to check census and other records to try and confirm relationship. It's not a 100% accurate but it's as close as you're going to get without paying for it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

rp76226
Master
Master

Re: Using social security records for research

Postby rp76226 » 15 Mar 2014, 02:24

Most of the time I have an exact birth date, then it is easy. This time, I know it's about 1906 from a 1940 census. The married name, which is not that common a name, is right and there's an exact 1905 birth date which fits close enough to the about 1906 date. It's the right city, but SS has no street address plus it's 32 years later. I'm 90% sure it's right, but I'm going to hold off on using the birth and death dates. I know the spouse/husband's name, but since it's not on the SS death record, I cannot confirm that it is her on the SS death record. If I could confirm it is her, then maybe with the date of birth, I might be able to find her maiden name. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”