Visiting Comune

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Visiting Comune

Postby lathompson » 16 Mar 2014, 16:10

I will be in the town where my great-grandmother was born. Is it possible to obtain her birth record from the civil office or the church if I have her date of birth? Or I have the estratto di matrimonio and would like to have the parent's names. This only has their names and date of marriage.

thanks for any info.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Visiting Comune

Postby liviomoreno » 16 Mar 2014, 17:23

If it is a small Comune, you may get it very quickly. On a larger one you will have to wait several days.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 17 Mar 2014, 17:22

liviomoreno wrote:If it is a small Comune, you may get it very quickly. On a larger one you will have to wait several days.

Livio is it possible for lathompson to make an appointment in advance if they have time so that they can just go and pick it up once they arrive in the town?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 17 Mar 2014, 17:31

I don't believe there is a general rule.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 17 Mar 2014, 17:39

If you don't speak Italian prepare a written request and present it at the office. Make sure to request a 'fotocopia dell'originale' . Take some ID (a passport) and smile.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Primo Mattino

Postby Primo Mattino » 17 Mar 2014, 20:23

If your greatgrandmother was born before 1920 you can get a copy or make o picture yourself in the regional Archivio di Stato. There you are also able to look for other ancestors in the marriage- or deathregisters. In stead of going to the local comune I would choose that.

lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lathompson » 18 Mar 2014, 13:20

One town is in Verona the other is Viterbo. How do I find the regional Archivio di Stato? Can I locate where they are online?
(Pescantina in Verona and Gallese in Viterbo) Thanks

trevisan2
Elite
Elite

Postby trevisan2 » 18 Mar 2014, 14:08

I have gone to the Comune and more specifically the "Municipio" to look up information on cousins living abroad or to do research on the deceased. Generally, they have records from 1871 and forward. If its a date before the 1871 then the Parish can give you a certificate.
They will also give out Free birth, marriage or death certificates. Sometimes they will want to see some ID.
Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provience of Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO

Surnames Melchiori of Oderzo, TV, Vendrame of TV, Rossi of Rai di San Polo, Bonotto of TV.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”