Parish Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Parish Records

Postby lathompson » 16 Mar 2014, 16:15

Is is possible to view church records to look for dates of birth? I will be visiting several towns where my family is from. For my GGF I know his parents names and the church he was baptized in. Would it be possible to see the records? I do speak Italian.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Parish Records

Postby liviomoreno » 16 Mar 2014, 17:21

Every Parish priest has his own policy. You might be lucky or hit a brick wall.

BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BlissIs » 16 Mar 2014, 20:39

Admittedly, I have no experience with this. Seems the common courtesy of writing to priest in advance and sincerely letting him know how much it means to you and providing dates you'll be in area, may help open the door. Best of luck and happy traveling.
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames:[i] Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 16 Mar 2014, 21:46

It's a good idea to write, especially if you are only going to be there one day. Best if you call the priest the day before and ask for a time to view. Naples is really difficult and so is the Diocese of Cassino. Rome has collected most of its records and put them in the Archives at the Vicariato.
Small towns are usually OK.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

lathompson
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lathompson » 18 Mar 2014, 13:17

Thank you. I didn't write and leave tomorrow so I will do this before I go back in the summer.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”