Italian Record Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
February
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Record Help

Postby February » 16 Mar 2014, 21:08

I've started getting in the Italian birth records that I requested. One had the information transcribed onto a nice form with multiple translations of what the line item was - very easy to understand.

However one is a photocopy of the original birth record. It is extremely faint and the handwriting is very spidery. I doubt that it would be legible if I tried posting it, as I'm having trouble seeing it with a magnifying glass. I'm trying to transcribe it word by word onto the Bing Translator. There is a word that has come up after men's names. It seems to mean "son of" , but is just f (or s)_ _ (something). It is throwing Bing off. Can anyone enlighten me?

Another question: What information is sent with a Family History Certificate? The original birth record I got had mother, father and paternal grandfather, in the body with a marriage in another column. Will a Family Certificate give grandparents, siblings, spouse(s), children?

Thanks for any help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian Record Help

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Mar 2014, 21:26

February wrote:I've started getting in the Italian birth records that I requested. One had the information transcribed onto a nice form with multiple translations of what the line item was - very easy to understand.

However one is a photocopy of the original birth record. It is extremely faint and the handwriting is very spidery. I doubt that it would be legible if I tried posting it, as I'm having trouble seeing it with a magnifying glass. I'm trying to transcribe it word by word onto the Bing Translator. There is a word that has come up after men's names. It seems to mean "son of" , but is just f (or s)_ _ (something). It is throwing Bing off. Can anyone enlighten me? Probably "fu" which indicate "son of deceased..."

Another question: What information is sent with a Family History Certificate? The original birth record I got had mother, father and paternal grandfather, in the body with a marriage in another column. Will a Family Certificate give grandparents, siblings, spouse(s), children?

Do you mean this?
Certificate of Family Status or Genealogy
Certificato dello Stato di Famiglia

If your ancestors left Italy after about 1880 and you know the name of the town in which they lived, you can write to the local Ufficio Anagrafe (Registry Office) and request a cerificato di stato di famiglia. This certificate, unique to Italy, records information on the entire family, rather than just an individual. It usually contains the name, relationship, and date and place of birth for each family member, often including family members who moved away or died. Some towns began keeping this record as early as 1869, but it wasn't in widespread use until after 1911.

Thanks for any help.

Here is a resource that will help you to understand the Italian records :-)
https://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads ... efault.htm

T.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 16 Mar 2014, 23:30

Thank you Tessa. Bing is still confused, LOL, but at least I'll be able to transcribe the Italian correctly.

The Certificate of Family Status or Genealogy is what I meant, but I'm confused as to what information it covers. When you say "entire family" how far back does the history go? The birth record I'm transcribing is for a man born in 1874 who left Italy in 1904 to come to the US. This record lists his parents and one grandfather. I'd like to know more about any siblings and any children he might have had in Italy. Should I request his family history or his parents' family?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Mar 2014, 03:08

February wrote:Thank you Tessa. Bing is still confused, LOL, but at least I'll be able to transcribe the Italian correctly.

The Certificate of Family Status or Genealogy is what I meant, but I'm confused as to what information it covers. When you say "entire family" how far back does the history go? The birth record I'm transcribing is for a man born in 1874 who left Italy in 1904 to come to the US. This record lists his parents and one grandfather. I'd like to know more about any siblings and any children he might have had in Italy. Should I request his family history or his parents' family?

You can make the request, but I believe the information you receive differs from Comune to Comune :-) Give as much information as you can (names, dates, etc.) and ask just what you mentioned above...

What Comune are we talking about here? Can we help you to search records?
If you provide some facts about your ancestor, maybe we can find some records for you.
AND... we are happy to translate for you if you post the records you find.
Try posting the one you have using an image-sharing site such as www.postimage.org
After you upload your image (no registration required), copy and paste the URL for "Thumbnail for Forum1" here.

T.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 18 Mar 2014, 03:04

I had the idea that the information from various communes would be uniform after I received the first birth record from Isernia. It was a form letter with all the information neatly typed in. I assumed that all birth records would be similar. The one I just got was a shock, LOL. It is from Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino and it is just a photocopy of the original record. My Italian is very basic, but I've managed to translate it with your help, and Bing's guesses. Luckily, it wasn't very long. My initial dismay at seeing it has changed - I'm actually glad I got the whole thing. There were details that weren't captured by the form letter - ages, professions, witnesses, the frazione where they lived. I found names of people that became neighbors in this country. It was fascinating.

Thank you for your offer of help. I had already checked, and only one of the family records I am looking for was online. That was my great grandfather, Giovanni Aruta's birth record from Padula https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-195-529781-1-33?cc=1920307&wc=MMGD-WKR:n163900932. Carubia kindly gave me the highlights, but help with translation of the part of the proceeding relating to the people involved, and what they decided to do with him, would be greatly appreciated. It probably won't lead to anything more, but it is the only information I have about his origins. He knew who his father was, and I'm hoping that something in the record will connect with what little I know about him.

Thank you for your kindness and help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Mar 2014, 16:25

February wrote:I had the idea that the information from various communes would be uniform after I received the first birth record from Isernia. It was a form letter with all the information neatly typed in. I assumed that all birth records would be similar. The one I just got was a shock, LOL. It is from Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino and it is just a photocopy of the original record. My Italian is very basic, but I've managed to translate it with your help, and Bing's guesses. Luckily, it wasn't very long. My initial dismay at seeing it has changed - I'm actually glad I got the whole thing. There were details that weren't captured by the form letter - ages, professions, witnesses, the frazione where they lived. I found names of people that became neighbors in this country. It was fascinating.

Thank you for your offer of help. I had already checked, and only one of the family records I am looking for was online. That was my great grandfather, Giovanni Aruta's birth record from Padula https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-195-529781-1-33?cc=1920307&wc=MMGD-WKR:n163900932. Carubia kindly gave me the highlights, but help with translation of the part of the proceeding relating to the people involved, and what they decided to do with him, would be greatly appreciated. It probably won't lead to anything more, but it is the only information I have about his origins. He knew who his father was, and I'm hoping that something in the record will connect with what little I know about him.

Thank you for your kindness and help.

Record #273
Dated 13 December 1867 in Padula at the town office at 11 AM
[Before the official] appeared Maria Giovanna Maio, daughter of deceased Feliciano, of age 65, Receiver of the abandoned in this town, residing at Strada Annunziata without a number, to declare that at night yesterday the 12th of the current month of December at 3 AM was found deposited at the wheel of the abandoned in this abovesaid town at Strada Annunziata, a male child who was presented to the official, and discovered to be wrapped in a cloth of green in a bundle with bare head. After seeing the infant he recognized that it was a living male and appeared to be about 3 days of age, and verified that there was no written note or mark within the clothing. Then according to the civil code he imposed the name Giovanni and the surname Aruta on the child.

Witnesses to the record were Signor Raffaele Di Dominici, son of Vincenzo, age 29; and Signor Nicola Marsilia, son of deceased Raffale, 22, both landowners.

More information at this link about orphans and abandoned children...
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... bandonment

T.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 19 Mar 2014, 03:35

Thank you for the translation and the link Tessa. I was disappointed that the entry didn't contain any information about what was done with the baby. It must have been very hard for him. But the link gave me hope that I might find some information in the Atti Diversi. Hopefully, his father acknowledged him at some point and that was how he knew who he was.

I'm less hopeful about the Draft records. At what age did boys have to register for the Draft in Italy during that time period? I have an immigration record that might be his. G. Aruta, 17, arrived in New York on the Alsatia on May 26 1884. A census record lists 1883 as his immigration date, so that ship manifest entry seems to be in the ballpark. He would have been 16 years, 5 months if the Alsatia listing is him.

Thank you again for all your help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”