Lanzarone in Little Italy, Brooklyn, NY. Parish help, please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Lanzarone in Little Italy, Brooklyn, NY. Parish help, please

Post by BlissIs »

Antonino Lanzarone (born 1885, Santa Margherita di Belice, arrived 1900) and Giuseppa Favara (born@1889, Castelvetrano, arrived 1903 NY -> Hoboken, NJ) Lanzarone lived:

In 1912 Had a barber shop at 1487 Nostrand Ave., Flatbush per The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (16 Jul1912)
They also owned a dress shop; address not known, nor when owned.
In 1915 at 115 Ellery St., Kings County. AD 6, Ward 21
In 1930 Queens, District 0251-0500
In 1940 at 214th St., Queens Co., Ed 24-2639

84 Catholic Churches in Brooklyn and don't know which one(s). Any ideas?
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Lanzarone in Little Italy, Brooklyn, NY. Parish help, pl

Post by erudita74 »

BlissIs wrote:Antonino Lanzarone (born 1885, Santa Margherita di Belice, arrived 1900) and Giuseppa Favara (born@1889, Castelvetrano, arrived 1903 NY -> Hoboken, NJ) Lanzarone lived:

In 1912 Had a barber shop at 1487 Nostrand Ave., Flatbush per The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (16 Jul1912)
They also owned a dress shop; address not known, nor when owned.
In 1915 at 115 Ellery St., Kings County. AD 6, Ward 21
In 1930 Queens, District 0251-0500
In 1940 at 214th St., Queens Co., Ed 24-2639

84 Catholic Churches in Brooklyn and don't know which one(s). Any ideas?
My ancestors from Santa Margherita di Belice lived in the East NY section of Brooklyn and belonged to the parish of Our Lady of Loreto which was on Sackman St in the Brooklyn. I am not certain, but I believe that section of Brooklyn was considered Brownsville. The parish, however, was closed a number of years ago. I don't believe that it would have served Flatbush, but I was born and raised in the Bronx and really don't know Brooklyn very well. Below is a link to the Diocese of Brooklyn website. You can put in an address and see what current parish is close to that address and then you will have to research to see if the parish was in existence at the time your ancestors resided there.

http://dioceseofbrooklyn.org/locator/

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Fabulous, Erudita! Will give it a go.
Many thanks,
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

BlissIs wrote:Fabulous, Erudita! Will give it a go.
Many thanks,
BlissIs

Happy to help. Let me know how you make out.
Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Update, as requested :-)
Did receive an offer of help from one parish which did not manifest nor was month-later request for update acknowledged. A list of over a dozen possible parishes was supplied with no responses to phone messages.
Tried interactive NYC Catholic parish maps with census addresses. Unable to assess possibilities due to great distances from residences.
Have now formulated a blanket letter of inquiry I am about to send to the parishes on the short list for whom I have located email addresses (7).
Fingers crossed.
Ahhh Have gotten date of death for Giuseppa Favara Lanzarone: 26 Feb 1971. No success has followed; location unknown.

Best to All,
BlissIs
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Flatbush is much further west, and a little south, of East New York and Brownsville, so I very much doubt Erudita's church would've covered it. My grandparents' church was closer (St. Therese of Lisieux in East Flatbush on Troy Ave), and they lived in Bed Stuy. I was born a little northwest of Flatbush (in Crown Heights), but I grew up in Queens.

Why are you trying to contact this church? Do you need a marriage cert? St. Therese of Lisieux at least was cooperative when I needed a new copy of my grandparents' marriage cert. I contacted them by mail.

BTW, that area of Brooklyn is not known as Little Italy. While the official Little Italy of NYC is located in Manhattan, Bensonhurst is known as the Little Italy of Brooklyn.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks, Carubia
Need a date of birth for wife, Giuseppa Favara (Lanzarone)to write again to Castelvetrano.

Hoping church has anything....baptism papers, etc., perhaps marriage though I have no date.
Your lead seems hot since St. Therese of Lisieux in East Flatbush on Troy Ave was not listed in any correspondence with RC NYC parishes.

And the geography is great. I have no idea how NYC is set up though from upstate myself.

Bersonhurst is also a new word. Thanks!

I know their barber shop was in Flatbush because of newspaoer article but don't know what section of NY their 115 Ellery St. residence was in. Map shows Ellery just off Park Ave between Marcy and Tompkins Avenue, south of Flushing Ave and north of Stockton Playground, i Think. There'e no N-S-E-W marker on page.

Any further direction is most appreciated.

Best to All
BlissIs

Many thanks
BlissIs
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

oh my gosh. I carried select holy cards with me when I was a little girl. St. Therese of Lisieux is "The Little Flower," as I knew her............one I carried!
Appreciate being so deeply touched through your kind offer of information, Carubia.
Sincerely,
BlissIs
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Ellery St. is in Bed Stuy, but in the NW corner, so if they lived there they probably wouldn't have been attending a church in E. Flatbush (or Flatbush for that matter). Most of the Catholic churches near there are in Williamsburg. While there used to be a large Italian community in central Brooklyn (now the same area is mainly African-American), Williamsburg bordered Greenpoint, which was largely Polish.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

duplicate, sorry
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

ok! Several of short-list parishes I had tried to contact were in Williamsburg according to Transfiguration Church who originally offered to look-up Lanzarone, thinking they would likely have records, but never has done so. hmmmm
Going in circles. Thanks so much for continuing to assist.

Giuseppa was born so there must be an answer! :-)

Arigatou,
BlissIs
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

okay Just got short list printed! There are Bedford Stuyvesant churches listed which I had been told to ignore for an Ellery St. address. Could be one of these 7! yowza

Thanks, Carubia. Appreciate your kind help.
Mahalo and Aloha
BlissIs
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Have just found a website that lists Brooklyn, NY churches by name and by zip code:
http://brooklyncatholic.blogspot.com/se ... tropolitan

Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei Church, 225 Seigel St. 11206 had mostly Italian parishioners in early 1900's. Am requesting records from them today.
Ciao
BlissIS
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks for sharing that link. The parish of my ancestors, Our Lady of Loreto, has been defunct for a number of years. Luckily I had gotten what I needed from that parish before it closed down.
Erudita
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Welcome! Happy to help. Thanks for uplifting success about parish. May we all find what we seek :-)