D'Alto / Colombo - Teggiano, Salerno, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
USA#1

D'Alto / Colombo - Teggiano, Salerno, Italy

Postby USA#1 » 24 Mar 2014, 04:39

Hello, I am attempting to learn more about my great-grandmother's history in Italy. She immigrated to the USA in 1889 when she was 12 years old. Her name at that time was Maria D'Alto, and her mother was Congetta Colombo. Her father was Antonio D'Alto, but I believe he passed away before Maria immigrated to the USA. I believe they used to live in Teggiano, Salero Province, Italy.

I would like to see how far back I can trace their heritage, but I do not know how to search such old Italian records. Where should I start? Any help is appreciated.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: D'Alto / Colombo - Teggiano, Salerno, Italy

Postby adelfio » 24 Mar 2014, 15:00

Your best bet is the to rent and view the Family History Library films of Registri dello stato civile di Teggiano (Salerno), 1866-1910 with the film of Nati 1866-1883 Family History Library International Film #2016214 for her birth record with some of her siblings possibly. You can get the parents info (ages) then you can get try for their marriage record with their parents info

Family History Library info
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ry_Centers

Ordering films from Family History Library
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

About Italian records
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

Marked Italian birth record click on image click to enlarge

More films of Teggiano, Salerno from FHL
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 24 Mar 2014, 16:31

1898 manifest for Maria with mother Concetta Columbo(a) and sister Giovanna. Joining Maria's brother Domenico in Chicago.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Mar 2014, 17:01

The name on the manifest is Concetta Colomba.

HennaRosenthal

Postby HennaRosenthal » 21 Jul 2015, 22:59

Hello!

I am brand spanking new here and the first thing I stumble across (quite by accident) are names that I believe are connected to MY family.

I'm VERY new to the search for my Italian ancestors. I've been poking around for less than a year and am just now finding wonderful resources like this one.

For USA#1:

-- My Grandmother was Jennie (we believe Giovanna) Dalto (or D'Alto), also from Teggiano.
-- Her mother's name was Concetta Colomba (we always thought it was Columbo).
-- Her father's name was Antonio Dalto / D'Alto, who passed away before Concetta and children came to the USA.
-- Jennie had a sister Mary who immigrated to the USA before she did.
-- She had a brother Dominick Dalto who immigrated before that, and lived in Chicago.
-- She also had another sister, Pauline.

There seems to be more than a few coincidences, so I wonder if you are part of what we Chicagoans call the "New York Contingent". Wouldn't that be marvelous?

Family folklore (from my mother, who is still with us at 91) says that Jennie and her mother Concetta traveled together when Jennie was 3 years old. My mother has NO memory of her mother being called anything but "Jennie". Just a few days ago, I found one of my uncle's birth records that has her listed as Giovanna. That and Google brought me here. :-)

Dominick, Mary and Pauline came first to the US. Mary and Pauline stayed in New York. Concetta and Jennie went to Chicago to live with Dominick. After Jennie married Nicola DeVivo in 1909, Concetta returned to New York.

Does any of this remotely match up with anything you may already know?

HennaRosenthal

Postby HennaRosenthal » 23 Jul 2015, 08:14

Correction to my previous post:

Dominick, Mary and Pauline came first to the US. Mary and Pauline stayed in New York. Concetta and Jennie went to Chicago to live with Dominick. After Jennie married Nicola DeVivo in 1909, Concetta returned to New York.

It was just Pauline who stayed in New York. Mary (Maria) went to Chicago, too. My mother remembers Mary's children from Antonio Pezzuto. John, Frank, Carmine, Florence, Concetta (who was called "Jo") and Marion.

We are obviously related! How fun!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”