Corsetti surname correct meaning? definition?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Corsetti surname correct meaning? definition?

Post by MarcoItaliano »

Hi,

My Great-Grandmother's name was Maria Victoria (or Vittoria, not sure exactly) Corsetti born in Sora, Frosinone, Lazio in 1911 and died in 1979 in Canada. Im wondering what the correct definition of her last name is. I understand that the word Corset (which is a garment usually worn by women) in Italian is translated as Corsetto and when you pluralize it becomes Corsetti.

So obviously that would be the meaning/definition of what her last name means but i found that on practically every official website that gives you the definition/meanings of Italian surname's defines it as this:

CORSETTI:
Italian: from a diminutive of the personal name Corso, which is a reduced form of Accorso or Bonaccorso. Accurso, a variant from Southern Italian (mainly Sicilian) of Accorso; is from a medieval personal name meaning ‘help’, ‘assistance’, often also found in the compound form; Bonaccorso ‘good help’ from a medieval personal name composed of the elements bono (buono) ‘good’ + accorso ‘aid’ (Late Latin accursus, from adcurrere ‘to aid’, literally ‘to run up’), often bestowed as an expression of gratitude upon a longed-for child. The surname Corsi was originally derived from the Italian medieval given name Bonaccorso, and is rendered in early documents in the Latin form of the name Accirsus. The surname Corsetti is a name for a person who habitually wished everyone a good day, or who was a cheerful and happy person. Variations of this surname include; Corso, Corsi, Corsa, Corselli, Corsello, Corsellini, Corsini, Corsino, Corsetto,
and many more.

Now im wondering which is the correct meaning, is the surname named after the garment Corset? or is it a diminutive of the personal name Corso and that someone who has the surname Corsetti was given for a person who was cheerful and happy and wished everyone a good day? If anybody can help me and give your opinions that would be great, thank you:)

(p.s. this is my new account i created, my old account was MarcoG)
Family Surnames In My Pedigree:
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,
3rd-generation Canadian. Family from Lazio (Frosinone province)
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Corsetti surname correct meaning? definition?

Post by Italysearcher »

If you think about how names were assigned, most of the above could apply except the one about corsets unless it was given to a woman who founded the dynasty.
'etti' on the end of a word is usually a diminutive, there are lots of possibilities. It is unlikely you will come up with one meaning as there are probably several for each of the towns where this name is found. My husband's mother was a Corsi.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarcoItaliano »

Oh ok thanks for explaining that to me Ann. I understand now, seems more clearer to me now. because it has etti, its a diminutive of another word or name, so looks like its has nothing to do with a Corset. Thank you.
Family Surnames In My Pedigree:
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,
3rd-generation Canadian. Family from Lazio (Frosinone province)
bella12

Post by bella12 »

Besides Italy, the name seems common in US, Canada, France: http://www.namewizard.net/s/corsetti
In Italy, it's Lazio with the most people called Corsetti: 516
The meaning has anything to do with "girdle" ?