Do I qualify for Italian citizenship?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cassidymarie

Do I qualify for Italian citizenship?

Post by cassidymarie »

I am getting mixed answers depending on which website I go to.
My great grandfather was born *after 1948* in Pesaro e Urbino (Le Marche) region of Italy. He and his wife came to the United States in 1910 through Ellis Island. They had their first child 6 years later.

My grandmother is their third child and born in the US. My father and I were both born in the US as well. I am trying to get Italian dual citizenship... is it possible through jure sanguinis?

Since my great grandfather went through Ellis Island, does he automatically give up his citizenship to Italy? He never once went back.

Is it even possible for me to get citizenship?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do I qualify for Italian citizenship?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The relevant questions are:

1) Did your great grandfather become a naturalized US citizen (more specifically, did he relinquish his Italian citizenship) prior to the birth of your grandmother. If the answer is no, then your grandmother was almost certainly born with the inherent right to Italian citizenship. And, no, merely entering the US, through Ellis Island or any other means, did not cause your great grandfather to lose his Italian citizenship.

2) Was your father born on or after January 1, 1948? Prior to that date Italian citizenship was passed only through the male line, hence your grandmother could not have passed her Italian citizenship to your father. There have been numerous successful court challenges in this matter however, so all is not lost even if your father missed the 1948 date.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Ciao Carmine! Welcome back!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:Ciao Carmine! Welcome back!
Grazie mille, Livio!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)