Looking for exact birthdate and birth town of g-grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AMB713

Post by AMB713 »

Hi everyone,

My great-grandfather guiseppe giamberardino came over on the Alesia from Naples and arrived on December 16, 1897 at the age of 41 (yob - 1855-56). His last town was listed as Frosolone. He was married with two children at the time but his wife Maria didn't come over until 1902 according to the 1920 census (and my grandmother). Maria was 15 years younger than Guiseppe so that puts her yob around 1870-71. They were married around 1892. The two children born in Italy were Maria and John (giovanni? gianni? middle name Augusto). John was born 9/18/1898 supposedly in Italy, but since his father was in the US by Dec. 16 1987 - 9 months before his birth - he must have been a bon voyage baby.

They had 2 more children in the US, my grandfather and his brother. In 1920 their name had morphed into Brandino and by the 1930 census it had morphed again into Brandoin, which is my mother's last name. Guiseppe became Joseph by 1920 but his wife Maria was still Maria in 1920. By 1930 she was Mary. He died in 1937 give or take a year or so, and she died several years later but I don't know exactly when.

Evidently they were known in their Atlantic City communtiy (the only place they ever lived in the US and the destination of record on my g-grandfather's passenger entry) as Giamberardino their whole lives and their obituaries listed both names. Supposedly my grandfather's birthcertificate gives his name as Felicio Giamberardino, even though he was Felix Brandoin his entire adult life. Evidently they never became American citizens.

Here's where I am stuck. I need my great-grandfather's birthdate and place of birth, his wife's maiden name date and place of birth, and where they were married so I can get their Italian records. Can you give me some idea of where I might find this information based on what I know? I couldn't find them in the 1900 census or 1910 census.

Thanks!

AMB
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for exact birthdate and birth town of g-grandfat

Post by VaDeb »

Are you sure your g grandfather never filed his first papers or Declaration of Intent? These have all the information you are looking for. What is their status listed on the 1930 census, NA or PA?

Did they belong to an Italian Catholic church in AC? If so the priest may have recorded when and where they were married. Need to make sure that marriage occured before he christens the children born here.

They older manifests do not have a alot of details. Did you happen to find your grandmothers immigration record?

Do you have any postcards from Italy? Do you know the patron saint of their town?

Some suggestions to start with.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Also, the 2 children born in Italy. Did they become US citizens? Finding their naturalization papers will give you the town they were born in and when they came here.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

As of 1920 census, they have yet to be naturalized or file papers of intent.
The following website gives detailed info on naturalization records and how to obtain these records.

http://archives.gov/

wldspirit
AMB713

Post by AMB713 »

Hey everyone, thanks so much! You're so generous with your assistance.

On the 1920 and 1930 census my great-grandparents were listed as AL which according to my research means "alien." The son born in Italy - my uncle John, did become a citizen ultimately, I have his social security number, dob, etc. He was still AL in 1920, but in the 1930 census he was PA.

From what I gather since they came over after my g-grandfather they are probably listed under my g-grandmother's maiden name which I don't know.

I'll get my uncle John's naturalization papers and see if the town in which he was born is listed. Thanks again!

Annemarie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If you get a copy of your uncle's social security application, that will also have the maiden name of his mother. Well, it is one of the questions on the application. Assuming he knew the maiden name of his mother and answered the question the information will be there.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com

YOu can search for the SS record on this site. When you find it, you can generate a letter to send for a copy of his SS form. It think the cost is about $27.

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

AMB713 wrote:Hi everyone,

My great-grandfather guiseppe giamberardino came over on the Alesia from Naples and arrived on December 16, 1897 at the age of 41 (yob - 1855-56). His last town was listed as Frosolone. He was married with two children at the time but his wife Maria didn't come over until 1902 according to the 1920 census (and my grandmother). Maria was 15 years younger than Guiseppe so that puts her yob around 1870-71. They were married around 1892. The two children born in Italy were Maria and John (giovanni? gianni? middle name Augusto). John was born 9/18/1898 supposedly in Italy, but since his father was in the US by Dec. 16 1987 - 9 months before his birth - he must have been a bon voyage baby.

They had 2 more children in the US, my grandfather and his brother. In 1920 their name had morphed into Brandino and by the 1930 census it had morphed again into Brandoin, which is my mother's last name. Guiseppe became Joseph by 1920 but his wife Maria was still Maria in 1920. By 1930 she was Mary. He died in 1937 give or take a year or so, and she died several years later but I don't know exactly when.

Evidently they were known in their Atlantic City communtiy (the only place they ever lived in the US and the destination of record on my g-grandfather's passenger entry) as Giamberardino their whole lives and their obituaries listed both names. Supposedly my grandfather's birthcertificate gives his name as Felicio Giamberardino, even though he was Felix Brandoin his entire adult life. Evidently they never became American citizens.

Here's where I am stuck. I need my great-grandfather's birthdate and place of birth, his wife's maiden name date and place of birth, and where they were married so I can get their Italian records. Can you give me some idea of where I might find this information based on what I know? I couldn't find them in the 1900 census or 1910 census.

Thanks!

AMB
Hi AMB,

I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, the name of the town you mention, Frosolone, has microfilm you can order and rent. It costs about $3.50 a roll.

Here is the microfilm numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

If you are in New Jersey, the New Jersey State Archives is wonderful. I'm always there doing research. Any way, you will be able to search for the Death Certificate of Giuseppe who died in 1937. Their records go up to 1940 for marriage and death and up to 1927 for birth. Otherwise, you write to the State itself.

If you know the Cemetery where they are buried, give them a call and ask for the Death or Burial Date, Once you have that, you can always order Death Certificates.

Also, at the New Jersey Archives, you should be able to get the Birth Certificates of the children born in the USA as long as its before 1927. The mother's maiden name should be listed on the certificate.

Here is the link for the New Jersey State Archives.
http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/archives.html

I hope this is of some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum