i need help on last name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

i need help on last name

Postby joseph ambrose » 05 Apr 2014, 19:34

for years we used the last name Ambrose.after looking up records of death we found it is spelled Di Ambrose,DiAmbrosio,d'ambrosia .does anyone know .my grand father came from castellammare di stabia .most of the death records used the name Di Ambrose.thank you Joe Ambrose
joseph ambrose

Re: i need help on last name

Postby erudita74 » 05 Apr 2014, 20:07

joseph ambrose wrote:for years we used the last name Ambrose.after looking up records of death we found it is spelled Di Ambrose,DiAmbrosio,d'ambrosia .does anyone know .my grand father came from castellammare di stabia .most of the death records used the name Di Ambrose.thank you Joe Ambrose

There are online records for the town. If you find your grandfather's birth record, or other family records, you will see how the surname for your family was spelled.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1482813

If you need help, give us some specific info about him.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: i need help on last name

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 05 Apr 2014, 21:22

joseph ambrose wrote:for years we used the last name Ambrose.after looking up records of death we found it is spelled Di Ambrose,DiAmbrosio,d'ambrosia .does anyone know .my grand father came from castellammare di stabia .most of the death records used the name Di Ambrose.thank you Joe Ambrose

Hi Joseph

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following link to Italian Surname Distribution Map interesting. It applies to today - not back in the 1800s but still....

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... 0BTRMiN3mQ

I typed in the three names Di Ambrose, Di Ambrosio, D'Ambrosia that you have mentioned here but each virtually produced nil results apart from Di Ambrosio which produced a few.

When I typed in Ambrose, Ambrosio, and Ambrosia the name Ambrosio produced the most results. However, when I typed in Ambrosi, this name produced the most results. So another thought, just to complicate things even more, is that possibly the “i” wasn't dotted at some point and so became an "e" – it has happened in my records – and the name MAY have been Di Ambrosi or Ambrosi to begin with and not Di Ambrose?.

The name which appeared the most in Campania was Ambrosio.

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... 0BcmciN3mI

Sorry I don't have the answer but thought you might find the name distribution map helpful and interesting.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy