How do I locate my Nonno Pio's records in Italia?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

How do I locate my Nonno Pio's records in Italia?

Postby MarcoItaliano » 09 Apr 2014, 20:18

My nonno Pio Gizzi was put up for adoption by his parents; Gino Enrico Gizzi (who was born in Ceprano, Frosinone, Lazio on 16 April 1917 and died in Canada in 2006) and Maria Victoria Corsetti (or her middle name is Vittoria not sure how to spell it exactly, who was born in Sora or Ceprano (not sure exactly i think Ceprano aswell), Frosinone, Lazio in 1911 and died in Canada in 1979) My nonno Pio was born on 17 May 1939 and died in Canada in 2003 (he died before his father), now according to my father he said my nonno was born in Rome and thats also where he was adopted by a Fazioli family. The reason my nonno was put up for adoption was because my nonni grande Gino & Maria were christian's, and real old school Italian's, especially back then in Italia, they didnt believe you should have a kid unless you are married first and they weren't, so thats why after they got married they got back my nonno Pio as their son, but the first 10 or so years of my nonno Pio's life he was growing up in Rome as a Fazioli and not a Gizzi.

So now i want to know were i can get his adoption records so i can find out who his adoption parents were, birth records so i can know exactly were he was born, i basically want to find out everything that i possibly can about my nonno Pio and then the same for his father Gino. If you ever seen that tv show Who Do You Think You Are, i want to do that for me one day and go to Italy and trace back all my Gizzi ancestors on that side of my family and i would like to start with my nonno Pio Gizzi, all my family comes from Lazio so most of the info i need will be easy for me since i wont have to worry about travelling all around Italy but i do know that i have to go to Italy to find out more about my family because my entire family (that i know of so far going back to the early 1800's) on my mother's and father's side all comes from the province Frosinone except Pio from Rome. And my entire family has only been here in Canada for about 50 years since my grandparents on both sides immigrated here in the late 1950's, early 1960's.

So all the info i want is in Italy, lucky for me tho because i only have to go to one region. If anybody can help me with my nonno and his adoption information i need (because i barely know much about how adoption works in Italy or just in general) and if anyone can just help direct me to places that i can go and get people to help me with what i want to do. that would be great thank you.
Family Surnames In My Pedigree:
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,
3rd-generation Canadian. Family from Lazio (Frosinone province)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How do I locate my Nonno Pio's records in Italia?

Postby suanj » 10 Apr 2014, 07:52

Hi,
if Pio don't was recognized at birth by biological parents and given in legal adoption,
the biological parents couldn't recognize it later...

if Pio was recognized at birth by biological parents, and the biological parents given it for legal adoption, they cannot request back to adoptive family .. because they lose all rights on the child
I believe that Pio was just raised from Fazioli family, no legally adopted...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 10 Apr 2014, 11:04

You have to get his original birth record. If he was adopted, it will be recorded there, if he was simply fostered, it probably won't be recorded but the town MAY know where he went. This sort of search is best done in person. The clerk doesn't speak English and since the books are in a high cupboard and she has vertigo, getting records by mail is a problem.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MarcoItaliano » 12 Apr 2014, 10:25

suanj wrote:Hi,
if Pio don't was recognized at birth by biological parents and given in legal adoption,
the biological parents couldn't recognize it later...

if Pio was recognized at birth by biological parents, and the biological parents given it for legal adoption, they cannot request back to adoptive family .. because they lose all rights on the child
I believe that Pio was just raised from Fazioli family, no legally adopted...
suanj

hey suanj, oh ya? ok that makes sense now that i think about it. he probably wasnt officially adopted, my bisnonni probably knew that Fazioli family or something like that it seems like.
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,

MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MarcoItaliano » 12 Apr 2014, 10:32

Italysearcher wrote:You have to get his original birth record. If he was adopted, it will be recorded there, if he was simply fostered, it probably won't be recorded but the town MAY know where he went. This sort of search is best done in person. The clerk doesn't speak English and since the books are in a high cupboard and she has vertigo, getting records by mail is a problem.

hey ann ya i have to ask my dad were his birth record is, he probably has it somewhere, but now that i think of it i dont think my nonno was officially adopted because after adoption is done im pretty sure you cant just get your kids back whenever you want lol, the only way i think is when the child becomes a young adult, they can choose to go back to their real parents themselves. my nonno was not even a teenager yet i dont think when he went to go back and live with and meet his real parents.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 12 Apr 2014, 21:36

Asking your Dad isn't going to get you the information as the birth certificate he would have wouldn't have the notations. Read my article on my website about abandoned babies.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”