Bartolomeo Carella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JJCarella

Bartolomeo Carella

Post by JJCarella »

I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain information on my paternal grandfather, Bartolomeo Carella, beyond the three ship manifests I found via Ellis Island. I'd like to determine the reason he made these trips from Bari, Italy to New York in the 1930's. Old photos show him as a "muscle man," possibly working the circus sideshow circuit. Another rumor is that he worked as a translator for the NYPD.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Bartolomeo Carella

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG Website
Birth of Bartolomeo Carella
INDEX#74
1896 Jan 5th in the town of Bari birth of Bartolomeo Carella son of Vito Carella age 35 farmer and Angela Rafaschieri
PG LINK TO RECORD
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Vito Carella and Angela Rafaschieri
INDEX#359
1882 Oct 21st in the town of Bari marriage of Vito Carella age 24 farmer born in Bari son of deceased Michele Carella and Maria Cellamare married Angela Rafaschieri age 20 born in Barletta daughter of deceased Vincenzo Rafaschieri and Grazia Paddolecchia
PG LINK TO RECORD
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

JJCarella wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible to obtain information on my paternal grandfather, Bartolomeo Carella, beyond the three ship manifests I found via Ellis Island. I'd like to determine the reason he made these trips from Bari, Italy to New York in the 1930's. Old photos show him as a "muscle man," possibly working the circus sideshow circuit. Another rumor is that he worked as a translator for the NYPD.
According to the manifest on this 1925 trip, he lists his occupation as "artist" - so the circus work is a real possibility :-)

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Bartolomeo Carella
Name: Bartolomeo Carella
Arrival Date: 10 Feb 1925
Birth Date: abt 1897
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: bari
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Patria

He lists his wife Santina Mirani in Bari as contact in last place of residence...

Looking at the 1920 manifest (December 1920 on SS Caroline)
This was Bartolomeo's first trip (see page 2 of manifest) and he was expecting to stay for 4 years. He was going to his brother Giuseppe Carella at 215 E. 110th St., NY
He is married at the time, and lists his occupation as workman - and over it is written "Lab" for laborer.

Given Name: Bartolomeo
Surname: Carella
Last Place of Residence: Bari, Italy
Event Date: 20 Dec 1920
Nationality: Italian
Departure Port: Bordeaux
Arrival Port: New York City, New York, New York
Marital Status: M
Citizenship Status:
Ship Name: Caroline

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Made an error in his destination... :oops:

Was going to his brother GENNARO Carella... in NYC

T.
JJCarella

Post by JJCarella »

A big thanks to all! Some fascinating information.
sonia.mincuzzi

Post by sonia.mincuzzi »

Io sono nipote di bartolomeo carella, figlia di sua figlia Silvia. Ho riconosciuto i dati di mio nonno. Se ti va cercami. Sono anche su Facebook