born somewhere in calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: born somewhere in calabria

Post by VaDeb »

When the US required all aliens to register (I believe the year was 1942) they filled out a card. These cards were not checked against manifests. That notation on the manifest means someone on that date checked the manifest to verify her arrival. It could have been done if a Declaration of Intent was filed. This is the first part in the naturalization process.

This website explains notations. Note 505 is a form that was issued after checking the manifest.

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/occ/

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

7-9-1940 date
505 form issued after checking manifest
3 code for the district court - in 1940 this 3 should mean Pennsylvania
200560 This is the petition number

This does not mean she was naturalized. Only the process started. Using the link wildspirit provided, you will find where to write for records. Use her married name, but also provide the maiden name. Usually the more information you can provide the better.

Debbie
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Trish, do you happen to have the link to maria scalise's arrival. I attached is inoperative

Thanks
TC

brujaojos wrote:
tjcort wrote:GEE ...I'm sorry if I offended anyone AND I really do appreciate all of Everyone's help...

I'm not being critical of anyone or of their efforts. I have a mass of material and I thought that I wa sanswerering questions to thebest of my knowledge as they were posed to me . Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just looking for some help

Thanks
TC
Dear TC,

Let’s just try to put some closure on the information you have. With the help of everyone from myself, Mfjp, Wldspirit, VaDeb, Donna P, Riccardo, and whomever else I forgot, we have gathered tons of information for you.

You have stated that Antonio Cortese was married twice. The first time to Maria DiBlasi, and the second time to Cristina Pacuzzi.

You also stated after hours of research on everyone’s part, the following, “Also, I have a letter from CITTA di Lamezia Terme that says nothing for Antonio with a birth date in 1876 but an Antonio with a birth date of 16 Luglio 1878...... His father is listed as Francesco & maiden name of mother is Pellegrino and her christian name is Serafina ...... but that's not my grandfather, Antonioâ€Â
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Hello all, I'm back.....

How likely is it that someone leaving from Naples could have arrived in Philadelphia during the period around 1897-1900? I checked every conceivable Ellis record and some are very close but no real matches.

That is definitely my grandfather Antonio and all of his relatives on the 1910 & 1920 census, 100 % guaranteed, even thought the age is off by a few years, as I show 1876 on the marriage record an death certificate.

I've requested or received all of the documentation everyone has suggested but nothing I have conclusively shows where Antonio was born or arrived in the US

Thanks
TC
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ancestry has Philadelphia records for 1883-1945.

You have already received all the documents that have been mentioned? Death and marriage records? Did you write to the towns and request a serach of the birth acts or order the microfilm for the town and look for yourself?

debbie
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

I have marriage application for Antonio and Cristina and Antonio's death certificate. They are currently with the PA dept of State to get "Apostilled."

I have written to San G of F. and again to Nicastro with updtaed info.

I have heard back from the Archivio de Statio de Costenza telling me to work directly with San G of F. I have also asked someone to look into San G of F personally.

But i still can not pin down Antonio's birthplace or arrival in the US conclusively nor have I found him on the 1930 census in Philadelphia

I need some " new" piece of info to get off this "stuck spot"

TC
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Census searching isn't always easy. If you can narrow down where the family lived to a ward or district, a page by page search may be your only choice if you want to find them.

Hopefully you will have an answer soon from a town in Italy and know where he was born.

YOu can search the passenger arrivals on ancestry.com for Philadelphia.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Went to Trish's link she posted earlier... but it won't link... there are about 56 Maria "Scalise" in the Ellis data base... hope this is the correct one...

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Scalise
Ethnicity: South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Nicastro
Date of Arrival: September 29, 1905
Age at Arrival:  55y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0020

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0729%2ETIF

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Did you get the declaration of intent that we discussed earlier?

Debbie
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

i've written to the INS under the FOI act using the registration # on the manifest for Cristina. Nothing back yet

Thanks
TC
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Wow, Cristina arrived in Sept 1912 and was married in Oct 1912...talk about a short engagement.... Antonio must have been some kinda guy

Cristina misstated her age on the manifest as she is 18 in 1912 yet 22 on the 1920 census.
I can't figure why they both arrived in Philadelphia yet were married in Morton, PA, a small town 10 miles outside Phila.

Also believed they lived in south Philadelphia all of there lives yet I cannot locate them on the 1930 census.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

That is a short engagement ... if they were from the same town it Italy it may have been an arranged marriage. Something to consider.

Age on the 1920 census - A census record often has errors. How well did the census taker communicate with the person giving the information and then did that get recorded accurately. A census record will prove a family was in a certain location at that time. The rest, use as a "picture" of the family. Sometimes first names and ages change. It does help to be able to follow over several census reports.

If you are determined to find them on the 1930 census and have exhausted all search variations, your only other option is a page by page search.

I know you are anxious, but you still have alot of information to come in. Responses of towns in Italy, declaration of intent for Cristina. The answers will come. Genealogy research takes time.

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:Went to Trish's link she posted earlier... but it won't link... there are about 56 Maria "Scalise" in the Ellis data base... hope this is the correct one...

Ethnicity: South Italian
Date of Arrival: September 29, 1905
Age at Arrival:  55y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Manifest Line Number: 0020

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0729%2ETIF

mfjp
Hi All,

Sorry I haven't been around, however, can someone post this link for me? This might be Antonio Cortese coming into the USA through Castle Garden at age 11.

Name: Antonio Cortese
Arrival Date: 27 Mar 1886
Estimated Birth Year: 1875
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Chateau Yquem
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 18
Microfilm Roll: 493
List Number: 314

If not, tell where to email the actual manifest page.

Sorry if my link didn't work, let me try it again for Maria Scalise's manfiest of 1905

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2466030233

Ethnicity: Italy, South
Date of Arrival: October 21, 1905
Age at Arrival: 55 Gender: F Marital Status: Sm
Ship of Travel: Roma
Manifest Line Number: 0026

The other manifest had the black line was going through the name which meant that Maria Scalise and daughter did not come to the USA at that time. The manifest above is when they came in.

Have a good one.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

The manifest Trish found and posted info on above:
Name: Antonio Cortese
Arrival Date: 27 Mar 1886
Estimated Birth Year: 1875
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Chateau Yquem
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 18
Microfilm Roll: 493
List Number: 314

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/1470/antonio18765ee.jpg

Debbie
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Thanks guys, that is the record I also have for Maria.

The manifest on Antonio is certainly a new possibility to ponder. Was there a minimum age to immigrate to the US or did a minor need to be accompanied by an older relative . I see Luigi above Antonio but even he is only 18

Thanks
TC