Brichetto Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Brichetto Genealogy

Postby stembri » 10 Apr 2014, 17:38

Hello! My name is Steve Brichetto and I am new to this site and was recommended to you by one of your research assistants. I am trying to find out some information on my family. I am a descendant of Antonio Brichetto who was born in 1859(?) in Orero Italy to Paolo Brichetto and Margherita Casagrande. I know that Antonio had a brother Angelo and a step brother Bartolomeo, whose mother was Arata Maria Giovanna (from Paolo's 2nd marriage). I am trying to find out when Antonio immigrated to the states and with whom (if there is a ship manifest or register) and if he had any other siblings (their names, birthdates, marriages and deaths). I think there was an older brother Paolo (who technically would be a Jr but in those days I do not think they used the distinction).

I am also trying to find out if my great great grandfather Paolo had any siblings and their names, birthdates, who they married and when they died).

Paolo's father was Bartolomeo Brichetto and I need the same info for him.

I have a free trial membership to Ancestry.com and was able to pull up some info but it is all in Italian and I cannot comprehend what it says. I have been on Family searcch.com too but my browser, for some reason, will not let me open or see images.

I know there are civil registers somehwere on line but I do not know where to go or how to use them and I am sure they are in Italian and I would not understand.

If there were censuses taken they might help me but I do not know where to find them or how to decipher them.

I realize this is a lot to ask but if anyone can assist me or give me guidance on how to best find this info out I would be very grateful.
stembri

Re: Brichetto Genealogy

Postby suanj » 10 Apr 2014, 18:21

Hi here the
births in Orero from 1838 to 1859:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... battesimi/

marriages from 1838 to 1859 :
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Matrimoni/

deaths from 1842 to 1859:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ero/Morti/
on each last page you will find the index...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby stembri » 10 Apr 2014, 18:31

Hi Suanj. Thank you for your response. I am so grateful for your assistance. I was able to open the attachments you posted but I do not understand Italian. I think it would be more helpful if I had any names but unfortunately I do not so it is like a needle in a haystack trying to find out if my great grandfather's had any siblings. Were there any censuses taken back in those days that are on line for the Orero region? In the United States every 10 years a census is taken and includes all members in the household along with birthdates. This would be beneficial if Orero ketp such records in the 1800's. Would you happen to know where I might find census records?
stembri

Postby suanj » 10 Apr 2014, 18:47

no italian censuses on line... it is a true miracle that the website edited, just from some day, also some civil records or church records of Genoa area...
and you had luck that are Orero civil records..
it is no necessary to know the italian language perfectly, because the name are on the top of all birth records as a well for marriages and deaths... however I searched in 1859 and I no found your Antonio with parent's names that you provided..
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby stembri » 10 Apr 2014, 20:01

Thank you for your assistance anyways. I will have to go thru the sites you posted and see if I can find any info. I already know about my great grandpa Antonio it is his siblings I am concerned about. He as born on July 10 1859 an dI know his parents were Paolo Brichetto and Margherita Casagrande. She died shortly after giving birth to a baby girl Annuncia (?) Maria. Hmmm, I wish I knew more on his siblings but am blessed to have the info I do. Thank you Suanj and hopefully someone will read my post and perhaps be able to assist me further. You are truly appreciated...
stembri

Postby suanj » 10 Apr 2014, 21:03

your ancestor full name was: Giovanni Antonio BRICHETTO and no just Antonio Brichetto, born in Orero on 10 July 1859 son of Paolo Brichetto( son of late Bartolomeo) and Margherita having nickname "Casa grande" ... no parent's ages
godfather Giuseppe Brichetto son of late Gerolamo
godmother Maria Brichetto daughter of late Gerolamo
birth/baptism act:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby stembri » 11 Apr 2014, 16:18

OMG! Thank you Suanj! I had no idea that great grandpa's full name was Giovanni Antonio Brichetto. This is all fascinating to me. How can I find out who Giovanni's siblings were - I know he had a step brother Bartolomeo from Paolo's 2nd mariage to Arata Maria. I also know he had a brother Angelo by the same mother Margherita Casagrande. I also know she died after birthing a daughter Maria but did Giovanni Antonio have any other siblings?

I am also having a hard time trying to find out when Giovanni Antonio immigrated to the United States and with whom. He came before great grandma Anna Segale came to the States.

I will also need complete family info on Paolo, including his brothers and sisters names, birthdates, marriages, death.

And for Bartolomeo, Paolo's father.

I am not sure who Giuseppe Brichetto was or Gerolamo. I am thinking he was a brother of Paolo as was Maria.

If you can advise how I can find this info out I would be extremely grateful. What websites do you use?

I am sorry if I am so excited but you have provided for me much info and I want to present it to my family at the reunion party coming up.
stembri

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 16:30

Hi you know the link of website where I found your ancestor birthact... and it is a bit long to find other records...
abt the immigration, I know no if it is helpful, but I found:

Giovanni Brichetto, "United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900"
Name: Giovanni Brichetto
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 26 May 1887
Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: La Bourgogne
Birth Year (Estimated): 1859
Departure Port: Havre
Literacy: Unknown
Residence Place:
Destination Place: NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment: Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID: 00081032
Affiliate Publication Title: Italians to America Passenger Data File, 1855-1900
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1746097

regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 16:49

Maria Annunziata Brichetto birth act:
Orero 22 Sep 1867 #35 daughter of Paolo Brichetto 42 old, porter, son of late Bartolomeo and Margherita Casagrande daughter of unknown parents

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,61310301
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 16:57

Margherita Casagrande death:
Orero 13 Oct 1867 #38
Margerita Casagrande 32 old born in Genova at .... (unreadable name) Hospital, resident in Orero, wife of Paolo Brichetto
pag 1 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,60835601
pag 2 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,60835601
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 17:08

Paolo Brichetto second marriage:

Orero 25 jul 1869 #6
GROOM: Paolo Brichetto 44 old, porter, born and resident in Orero, son of late Bartolomeo ( son of late Francesco) and of living Maddalena Cuneo, widow of Margherita Casagrande
BRIDE: Maria Giovanna Arata 38 old seamstress daughter of living Giovanni ( son of late Allessandro) and Angela Arata(?) both farmers, both born and resident in Orero
pag 1 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,62232301
pag 2 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,62232301
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 17:24

Giovanni Bartolomeo BRICHETTO birth act:

Orero 24 Nov. 1872 #48
Giovanni Bartolomeo BRICHETTO son of Paolo Brichetto 48 old, porter (son of late Bartolomeo), born and resident in Orero, and of Maria Arata 42 old seamstress (daughter of living Giovanni) born and resident in Orero

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,65517901
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby stembri » 11 Apr 2014, 18:27

I am overwhelmed by all this new info you have provided for me. I now know when my great grandfather immigrated to the States. I have one last question for you, if it is not too much an imposition - you mentioned above that Antonio's god parents were Guiseppe and Maria Brichetto, children of Gerolamo. Can you let me know who Gerolamo's parents were? I am trying to see if he was a brother of Paolo.

I will try researching to see if there are other siblings - I know it will be long and you have other things to tend to so I can try. I will use the site you posted to see if I can see anything.
stembri

Postby suanj » 11 Apr 2014, 18:45

Hi, I cannot find abt Gerolamo because I have no a possible birthyear or a possible birthyear of the children( godfather and godmother of your Antonio), but most probably they was cousins of Paolo...
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby cargnire » 07 Jul 2014, 00:55

Hi Steve!

My name is Robert Cargni-Mitchell. I am the great-grandson of Giovanni Brichetto and Maria Arata, both born in Orero, Italia. My maternal grandmother is Gemma Emelia Brichetto. Anyway, I saw your post of inquiry about ship's manifests for passage from Italia to the USA. I was able to most records of every ancestor of mine, whether a Cargni, Brichetto or Arata at http://www.ellisisland.org/, that is provided your ancestor came into the USA and not Canada. I hope this helps you.

Best, Robert Emile Cargni-Mitchell
cargnire

Next

17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy