Translation help with Vincenza Gargione record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pm16
Rookie
Rookie

Translation help with Vincenza Gargione record

Postby pm16 » 15 Apr 2014, 02:56

Can someone please help me. I have found the death record of Vincenza Gargione. She died in 1876 at the age of 85 and she was the widow of Crecsenzo Milone. So that would make the year of her birth at around 1791.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246650401
Then I found what appears to be the death certificate of one of her children. francesco(a) milone who died in 1875 at the age of 74. That would put the birth around 1801 which would make Vincenza 10 years old when she had this child. Am I translating something incorrectly?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246650401

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Translation help with Vincenza Gargione record

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 15 Apr 2014, 06:05

I've had a look at both the records here and I can't see anything obviously different from what you are seeing. I personally have found a lot of error as far as ages go in my death records (people didn't seem to know their own ages and then there is clerical error) - you can't really be sure of what year these people were born in until you find their birth records and even then occasionally errors can occur. I'm looking at my great great grandfather's records at the moment and on his death record I've estimated his year of birth as 1803 and on another record I've estimated it as 1796 so there is a seven year discrepancy there? I would say these people are mother and son.

Hope this helps.

Angela

BTW It would be Francesco. He was the husband (marito) of Antonia.

pm16
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pm16 » 15 Apr 2014, 22:51

Thank you so much. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find BC's back that far, but I will try. I have had some discrepancies but never that much of an age difference. Usually its only 2-3 years. Thank you for letting me know it was Francesco..I couldn't tell whether it was an o or an a at the end. :)

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 15 Apr 2014, 23:24

You can look at before the name of deceased the word morto/male or morta/female

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 16 Apr 2014, 00:22

pm16 wrote:Thank you so much. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find BC's back that far, but I will try. I have had some discrepancies but never that much of an age difference. Usually its only 2-3 years. Thank you for letting me know it was Francesco..I couldn't tell whether it was an o or an a at the end. :)

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. :D

You just might be lucky and find her birth record in some allegati. It is amazing how quickly and how far you can go back with Italian records and especially when you have access to allegati. (Briefly but you might already know this – allegati are the supporting documents filed by the bride and groom supporting their intent to marry which include their birth records, parents death records if applicable, and sometimes other documents on earlier generations. They are a treasure chest.)

I just wanted to add that it wasn't unheard of for children to marry. I personally haven't experienced this in my history, my youngest, so far, was 15 (my gr8gr8 grandmother born 1848), but on reading through some of the forums here, mention has been made of children as young as 11 being married. I remember years ago when I worked in a social welfare environment we cared for a pregnant 11 year old, so it can happen.

You are welcome re the spelling of Francesco and like Marty has said, a good way to check gender is from the words morto (male) morta (female).

Angela

P.S. You might be interested to read about allegati on the following forum. Allegati are also called processetti.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... ti#p208703

pm16
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pm16 » 17 Apr 2014, 00:14

Thank you! I will check it out. :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”