May be beyond help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
WIKD

May be beyond help

Postby WIKD » 17 Apr 2014, 02:22

I've spent a couple years on and off trying to find some info for my family but there's a definite problem. My paternal grandfather came over from Italy with his brother. They have passed long ago as well as my father. Since I was small I was told that our surname was changed when my grandfather came to the US. The story goes that my grandfather and brother got into a huge argument en-route and when they landed they both changed their surnames so they wouldn't be related, one to Lamano and one to LaManna, neither is supposed to be the correct last name. To compound the problem I know my grandfathers first name but that is also suppose to be different. I have combed through many records trying to find two brothers that came over between 1903 and 1928 as I know my grandfather was born in Italy in 1903 and lived in New Jersey in 1928. Any ideas or help would be more than greatly appreciated.
By the way I checked Lamano and LaManna in case the story was BS but could not trace any back to him.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: May be beyond help

Postby adelfio » 17 Apr 2014, 02:45

Welcome to IG website
How about some full names ? Is it James LaManna?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 113yearslater » 17 Apr 2014, 02:51

What were their wives' last names?

113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 113yearslater » 17 Apr 2014, 02:57

BTW, the reason I'm asking is that sometimes people took care to marry someone from the same town as themselves. If you're lucky, their wives' names will trace back to the same town, and possibly the same town as another last name that sounds vaguely like Lamano.

This may not be the case; I've found that people grew less fussy about finding a spouse from the same town after 1900. However, it's a possibility.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”