Records stored in Diocese or actual church

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
clijs

Records stored in Diocese or actual church

Postby clijs » 17 Apr 2014, 22:38

Pre-1820 records, would they be stored in the Diocese Archives of Messina or the church, in Messina, where the relatives were baptized? If it is the Diocese of Messina, can you call and make an appointment to see records?
Thank you,
Laura

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Records stored in Diocese or actual church

Postby erudita74 » 17 Apr 2014, 23:49

clijs wrote:Pre-1820 records, would they be stored in the Diocese Archives of Messina or the church, in Messina, where the relatives were baptized? If it is the Diocese of Messina, can you call and make an appointment to see records?
Thank you,
Laura

They would be in the individual church, as it was not standard practice to keep copies at the diocesan level until the early 1900s-I believe the exact year was 1917. But some dioceses, such as that of Torino, started making duplicates as early as 1820. Of course, in towns which were ravaged by floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters, the records which had been housed in the local churches were destroyed along with the churches. The only church records earlier than the state civil records for those towns may be extracts of church baptism, marriage, or death records which are found with the state civil records as part of the marriage processetti packages. For my one ancestral town in Matera province, this is the case, but I only found an occasional church death note, or baptism record, for an ancestor from about 1780 to the latter 1700s, but really not earlier. Church records, if you can find them, should go back to at least 1562.

Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”