surname: Marando origin: Ferruzzano, RC

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MichaelMaranda

surname: Marando origin: Ferruzzano, RC

Postby MichaelMaranda » 25 Apr 2014, 18:41

To the best of my understanding of the documents I have studied:

Fortunato Marando marries Elisabetta Tallarida, their son Giovanni Marando (lived roughly from 1810-1886) marries Paola Stilo, they have (at least) two sons Carmine and Domenico and daughters Rose & Elisabetta. Carmine marries Giullia Maria Mollica.  In 1881 Domenico marries Pasqualina Vigliante daughter of Mercurio Vigliante and Columba De Lorenzis.   Domenico we know has four daughters (two names known: Agata & Columba) and son, Giovanni, my great-grandfather, known as John.  He comes to the USA in 1903, via NYC, about age 17, with the skills of a Tailor.  

It seems that Agata came to the states with a son, Salvatore, and her husband was Demitri Cardile.  The last name likely changed spelling somewhat in the USA, and I have not been able to figure much out on that account.   

The daughter of Carmine Marando, above, was named Paola and she married a Giuseppe Domenico Pedulla and settled in NYC.

My statements do not mean to imply that the listed children were the only ones. It's just what we currently know.

I'm interested in connecting with anyone that may have connections with the tree described, or knowledge of Ferruzzano, RC. Surnames: Tallarida, Vigliante, Mollica, Pedulla, De Lorenzis, Stilo.

I am especially eager to learn what became of the descendants of Agata and where they settled. I am also eager to learn whether Giovanni's three other sisters married or emigrated, and generally what became of them.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: surname: Marando origin: Ferruzzano, RC

Postby pink67 » 26 Apr 2014, 17:21

Hi,

regarding Agata Marando, what about these censuses?

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Lametro Carillo
[Lamotra Carillo]
[Lametro?? Carillo]
Birth Year: abt 1883
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Rochester Ward 7, Monroe, New York
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1908
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Achita Carillo
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Lametro Carillo 37
Achita Carillo 35
Sam Carillo 12
Philip Carillo 5
Micke Carillo 2
[2 6/12]
Lametro Carillo 0
[5/12]

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6061/43 ... turnRecord

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Lunetra Cordaro
[Lunette Cordaro]
Birth Year: abt 1885
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home: View Map
Immigration Year: 1908
Spouse's Name: Mary Cordaro
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Education:
Military service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace:
View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Lunetra Cordaro 45 head, born in Italy, married since 20 years, immigration year 1908
Mary Cordaro 40 , wife, born in Italy, married since 20 years, immigration year 1910
Sam Cordaro 21 son, born in Italy, immigration year 1910

Philip Cordaro 14 son, born in NY
Dominick Candano 12 son, born in NY
Demetre Candano 11 son, born in NY
Mickey Candano 7 son, born in NY
Theresa Candano 8 daughter, born in NY
Mary Candano 4 [4 2/12] daughter, born in NY

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6224/46 ... 1119_00435

same family on 1940 census:

1940 United States Federal Census

Name: Diertre Cardello
Respondent: Yes
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1940: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: North Street
House Number: 381
Farm: No
Inferred Residence in 1935: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Resident on farm in 1935: No
Citizenship: Alien
Sheet Number: 5A
Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 104
House Owned or Rented: Rented
Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 21
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 4th grade
Duration of Unemployment: 65
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Diertre Cardello 60
Agnes Cardello 58
Dimtri Cardello 20
Sunday Cardello 18
Theresa Cardello 16
Mary Cardello 14

possible death dates for Demetrio?

U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current

Name: Lemetro Cardillo
SSN:
Last Residence: 14609 Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA
BORN: 14 Nov 1880
Last Benefit: 14609 Rochester, Monroe, New York, United States of America
Died: Jun 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 26 Apr 2014, 17:41

Looks like Demetrio Cardillo is buried in Rochester at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery:

Name of Deceased: Cordello Lemetro D.
Cemetery: Holy Sepulchre
Cemetery Section: NO25
Cemetery Lot/Tier: 7
Cemetery Wall:
Grave Number: 19L
Burial Date: June 29, 1978
Additional Cemetery Info: No25

his wife:

Name of Deceased: Cordello Catuzza AKA Agnes
Cemetery: Holy Sepulchre
Cemetery Section: NO25
Cemetery Lot/Tier: 7
Cemetery Wall:
Grave Number: 19R
Burial Date: March 28, 1949
Additional Cemetery Info: No25

and possibly other family members:

http://www.holysepulchre.org/locate/search

Laura

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Apr 2014, 23:42

Great find, Laura! :D

Seems we were researching same family...
Names were sooo badly misspelled :shock:

related thread
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/locat ... 51#p210251

T.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 27 Apr 2014, 13:50

Hi Tessa!
Sorry, I didn't noticed there was another thread open, Thank you!

Laura :D

MichaelMaranda

Postby MichaelMaranda » 27 Apr 2014, 15:23

Laura - thank you ... you have convinced me to look deeper in those particular records. I had run across the name Lemetro and variants in my search for Demetrio, and some of the dates didn't seem to work, but the one above with Achita as spouse looks very much like it is right. I intend to trace that family a bit further and see if there is anything to rule this out, but this is the most optimistic I have been regarding Demetrio/Agata/Salvatore.

And apologies for confusion of the separate threads - I had no idea how active the site membership here was, nor how helpful! I figured putting out info in the Location and under Surnames would be useful for anyone searching later. And I didn't realize that my current brick wall of Agata's line would be taken up so readily! Both threads have yielded solid leads, but perhaps further discussion of Agata and her family should continue on the thread Tessa has indicated.

As I noted there, I have been amassing as much data as I can about families in Ferruzzano (as so many are interconnected) - and I am very happy to connect with anyone researching any families in Ferruzzano. I've got more than 300 names for people who were born there or are descended from there.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether a list was produced of those who perished in the 1907 earthquake (about 160 or so)?

Another of my brick walls is determining what happened to my great grandfather Giovanni Marando's other sisters. I only have one other name: Columba - based solely on verbal reports of one of his sons, with no detail other than her name and that she was older than Giovani. And the other two names are as yet unknown to me.

I have not had opportunity to order LDS files for this period, and it seems like it will be a long term effort to do that as in this period the films are single year, so I would have to order quite a few to have any hopes of finding them. That's why I have been instead collecting data on the Ferruzzanoti so that I can narrow things down and potentially find connections. I think I have already identified two of their aunts as a result of this effort.

One more question for those interested in Ferruzzano -- and knowledgable about digitization of records. Does anyone know the background of this project: http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it ? I mean how do they determine which locations are next to be digitized, or is this a matter for the communes to opt into participating? Or is it driven by volunteers? I am trying to determine the likelihood or timeline for records of Ferruzzano to be included there.

kw1046a

Postby kw1046a » 03 Aug 2014, 03:12

Hello

I searched on "Ferruzzano" to discover that you, too, are researching the families of that Comune. My family lines are Commisso and Macri, Giurlio, Sgro' and Scida. I ordered the LDS microfilm covering the Ferruzzano births from 1809-1865 and was able to take my tree back a little further. I ran into a few stumbling blocks, and will need to order the deaths, marriages and proscessetis for that time period in Ferruzzano, as well, and that should give me a bigger picture.

Do you know of any books or reference materials that would discuss the history of Ferruzzano? I haven't been successful in learning about the area outside of what is on "Wikipedia" . I would guess learning about the history would give me greater insight into the families that live there.

Tammy

MichaelMaranda

Postby MichaelMaranda » 03 Aug 2014, 04:53

An update -- I've confirmed the connection to Agata/Achita - and have found the descendants of that branch. This was the older sister to my great grandfather.

I now have the names and DOB of my great grandfather and his siblings:

Agata (AKA Achita AKA Catuzza) b .13 Aug 1882
Giovanni (AKA John) b. 21 Oct 1884
Giuseppa Teresa b. 5 Aug 1888
Elisabetta b. 30 Mar 1891
Palma Rosa b. 8 Sept 1893

I am told one of the three younger sisters emigrated to Australia and the other two stayed in Italy. But I don't know which. I also don't know the names of any of their spouses assuming they married.

Tammy - (and anyone!) - As for Ferruzzano -- I am very happy to connect and collaborate.

My father and his wife recently visited the commune and have some pictures. I also have the names of one or two people that live there now.

I've been assembling a small database of people with Ferruzzano heritage or who lived there. I am happy to compare notes.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”