Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby J.B. » 01 May 2014, 00:55

Hello, I am new here! I live in the United States, and there are two Italian surnames I am related to, which I believe are from Sicily. I would like as much information as possible about the origin of these family names: Bevinetto, and Virga. Internet searches generally turn up very little about these names, and there are a few genealogy and birth/death record websites that require payments in order to use them most effectively. If possible, I would also like meanings of these names in English, records of their immigration to the United States, their towns and regions of origin in Italy, and the earliest dated recordings of these last names in history. Thank you.
J.B.
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 23:55

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby adelfio » 02 May 2014, 16:02

Welcome To IG Website
How about a few names and dates to help with researching

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby adelfio » 02 May 2014, 16:08

Is this your family
Angelina Katherine Virgo, "California, County Marriages, 1850-1952"
Name: Anthony Bevinetto
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 15 May 1937
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Birth Year (Estimated): 1911
Father's Name: Jack Bevinetto
Mother's Name: Margaret Unknown
Spouse's Name: Angelina Katherine Virgo
Spouse's Age: 24
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1913
Spouse's Father's Name: Frank F Virgo
Spouse's Mother's Name: Norma Thio
Page: 230
GS Film number: 2114021
Digital Folder Number: 005698597
Image Number: 02892
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1804002

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2014, 16:35

J.B. wrote:Hello, I am new here! I live in the United States, and there are two Italian surnames I am related to, which I believe are from Sicily. I would like as much information as possible about the origin of these family names: Bevinetto, and Virga. Internet searches generally turn up very little about these names, and there are a few genealogy and birth/death record websites that require payments in order to use them most effectively. If possible, I would also like meanings of these names in English, records of their immigration to the United States, their towns and regions of origin in Italy, and the earliest dated recordings of these last names in history. Thank you.



From this site:
http://www.italyworldclub.com/genealogy/surnames/v.htm

VIRGA: From the word "verga" = stick used by shepherds and farmers

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby Tessa78 » 02 May 2014, 16:41

adelfio wrote:Is this your family
Angelina Katherine Virgo, "California, County Marriages, 1850-1952"
Name: Anthony Bevinetto
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 15 May 1937
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Birth Year (Estimated): 1911
Father's Name: Jack Bevinetto
Mother's Name: Margaret Unknown

Spouse's Name: Angelina Katherine Virgo
Spouse's Age: 24
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1913
Spouse's Father's Name: Frank F Virgo
Spouse's Mother's Name: Norma Thio
Page: 230
GS Film number: 2114021
Digital Folder Number: 005698597
Image Number: 02892
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1804002

Marty


If the record Marty :D found is your family -
Here is a POSSIBLE death index for the parents of the above groom...

Margheri Bevinetto, "California, Death Index, 1940-1997"
Name: Margheri Bevinetto
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 20 Jan 1962
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Birth Date: 18 Feb 1883
Birthplace: Italy

Gender: Female
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:


Jack Bevinetto, "California, Death Index, 1940-1997"
Name: Jack Bevinetto
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 10 Apr 1962
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Birth Date: 02 May 1878
Birthplace: Italy

Gender: Male
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby J.B. » 02 May 2014, 22:48

Thank you! Is it possible to know where in Italy Jack/Giacomo Bevinetto and Margheri/Margaret Bevinetto were born, and what her maiden last name is? What about their parents? Also, what is the correct spelling of Virga/Verga/Virgo? Are they related names, what region of Italy are they from? Here is something I have found concerning Verga in particular, and according to this source, the last name of Norma is spelled Ghio instead of Thio. These seem to be the same people that you've mentioned, although with different name spellings.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/e/d/m/Dawn--A-Edmonds-garrison/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0137.html

Thank you. I am trying to research the surnames of my families, as genealogy has become something of interest to me.
J.B.
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 23:55

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby J.B. » 19 May 2014, 01:18

I am almost certain that the individuals mentioned already are indeed my relatives, although the source I linked pointed to some different name spellings, such as Verga and Ghio instead of Virgo and Thio. Also, is Ghio a northern or southern Italian last name, which region would it have originated from? There seem to be many from Liguria, for instance. From what I know, Virga/Verga and Bevinetto are predominantly Sicilian names. If it is the spelling Verga, then it might have origins from Spain, as it is a name over there as well. Would anybody else like to help me out?
J.B.
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 23:55

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby adelfio » 19 May 2014, 08:10

J.B. wrote:Thank you! Is it possible to know where in Italy Jack/Giacomo Bevinetto and Margheri/Margaret Bevinetto were born, and what her maiden last name is? What about their parents? Also, what is the correct spelling of Virga/Verga/Virgo? Are they related names, what region of Italy are they from? Here is something I have found concerning Verga in particular, and according to this source, the last name of Norma is spelled Ghio instead of Thio. These seem to be the same people that you've mentioned, although with different name spellings.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/e/d/m/Dawn--A-Edmonds-garrison/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0137.html

Thank you. I am trying to research the surnames of my families, as genealogy has become something of interest to me.


It looks like they were born in Gibellina
U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1795-1972 (World Archives Project) for Giacomo Bevinetto
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
30627_150978-00488.jpg



Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby J.B. » 19 May 2014, 19:46

adelfio wrote:
J.B. wrote:Thank you! Is it possible to know where in Italy Jack/Giacomo Bevinetto and Margheri/Margaret Bevinetto were born, and what her maiden last name is? What about their parents? Also, what is the correct spelling of Virga/Verga/Virgo? Are they related names, what region of Italy are they from? Here is something I have found concerning Verga in particular, and according to this source, the last name of Norma is spelled Ghio instead of Thio. These seem to be the same people that you've mentioned, although with different name spellings.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/e/d/m/Dawn--A-Edmonds-garrison/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0137.html

Thank you. I am trying to research the surnames of my families, as genealogy has become something of interest to me.


It looks like they were born in Gibellina
U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1795-1972 (World Archives Project) for Giacomo Bevinetto
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
30627_150978-00488.jpg



Marty



Thank you, Adelfio. Unfortunately, I have learned that Gibellina suffered the 1968 earthquake that left it in ruins. Now, it is covered in concrete.
J.B.
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 23:55

Re: Origin of Bevinetto and Virga Families

Postby adelfio » 19 May 2014, 23:42

There are records of Registri dello stato civile di Gibellina (Trapani), 1821-1910 at Family History Library for rent and viewing Births, deaths, marriages, banns, citizenship records, miscellaneous documents
ORDERING FILMS FROM FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center
ABOUT ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records
FILMS OF GIBELLINA FROM FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago


10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], PurrfectMeow and 10 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.