Looking for Francesco De Vita ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
angwha

Looking for Francesco De Vita ancestry

Post by angwha »

I am looking for Francesco Di/De Vita/Vida/Viti. He was an Italian POW at Mount Rainier Ordinance Center Ft Lewis in Washington State, USA. He went back to Sicily between 1944-1946. He may have been a Sargent Major and his family owned a winery. He may have been about 32 years of age in 1944. DNA tests show Abrizzo, Italy or Ennes, Sicily ancestry.
angwha

Re: Looking for Francesco De Vita ancestry

Post by angwha »

Is it possible to get a lookup for Francesco De Vita in Agrigento, Sicily, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1844-1911? Thank you.
angwha

Post by angwha »

Update on my grandfather, Francesco De Vita. He was a Captain in the Italian Special Units and a POW at the Mount Rainer Ordinance Depot, a fiction writer and a referential collaborator, and he owned a winery in Sicily. He was most likely from Ennes, Sicily. His birth year may be between 1904-1924. That would put him about 20-40 years of age when he was POW during WWII. He did return to Sicily and was last heard from after 1965. I am looking for conscription records into the Italian army. Also, I am wondering if the Sicilian authors would have put personal information and pictures on their books. Any help is appreciated. I still need a lookup in the Civil Registration Records.
angwha

Post by angwha »

Correction: He was a Corporal, not a Captain.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is he from Enna Sicily?
You need the right year of birth and the correct birth town to get his Italian military record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Could this be your
Name:Francesco De Vita
Arrival Date:7 Dec 1934
Port of Arrival:Blaine, Washington, USA
Residence Place:Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Residence Country:Canada
Birth Date:abt 1895
Birth Place:Bagnoli del Trigno Campobasso Italy
Birth Country:Italy
Race/Nationality:So Italian (Italian)
Record Type:Cards

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1075/41 ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
angwha

Post by angwha »

Thank you for the posts. We have narrowed it down to 6 possibilities. I don't know if Francesco ever came back. Immigration quotas were strict for Italians back then. He may have been from Vita, Sicily. My grandmother was 29, and my uncle thinks Frank was about 35, but is uncertain.

From NARA his POW# was 9WI-342, Rank: Corporal; Service Code: Field Artillary; Service Command: 900076; Org: 6 (Possibly Louisianna); Station:9784

We have in Marsala (TP)
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON July 24, 1905;
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON June 21, 1913
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON July 4, 1914
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON September 17, 1914

WE HAVE IN Trapani (City)
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON January 5, 1913
FRANCESCO DE VITA BORN ON October 12, 1908
angwha

Post by angwha »

Francesco De Vita's birthday is January 29, 1918, Marsala, Trapini, Sicily, Italy
I have his military record now.

His parents were Antonino De Vita and Leonarda Indelicato, both were born in Marsala, Trapini, Sicily, Italy
Can someone get a birth and death date for them and for their parents? Thank you!

Residence: Ragatissi PV, Trapini, Italy. As of March 30, 1943, his mother was listed in his military record as being a dependent so I assume his father was dead. He was captured in Tunisia and sent to Florence, AZ, Camp Cooke, CA, and Mount Rainier Ordinance Depot in Tacoma, Wa. He was repatriated in 1945.

angwha

Post by angwha »

Update: Antonino De Vita (landowner) Birth 28 October 1873; Death 27 April 1930 in Marsala, Trapini, Italy; son of Bartolomeo De Vita and Rosa Amato.
Leonarda Indelicato Birth 8 September 1876 in Marsala, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy;
Death 10 August 1959 in Marsala, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy; daughter of Giuseppe Indelicato
and Vincenza Canino

Their children were Bartolomeo De Vita, 1900 – 1901; Rosa De Vita, 1902 – 1905;
Bartolomeo De Vita, 1905 – ; Giuseppe De Vita, 1908 – ; Filippo De Vita, 1910 – ;
Pietro De Vita, 1912 – ; Michele De Vita, 1914 –; My grandfather-Francesco* De Vita, 1918 – 2009.