Need help figuring out S. Italy surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elsantoro

Re: Need help figuring out S. Italy surname

Post by elsantoro »

Now I wonder if Nunziato may have died before Rosa immigrated... She was a widow when she married Antonio and it might explain why finding immigration records is so difficult. He was 43 when they married in 1898. Though I don't think a pregnant woman would have traveled alone in those days. If Sidoti got changed to Siroti, who knows what would have done to the name Nunziato.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote:On Millie 1915 marriage record the her father name was:
Memcio Serrotti
Memcio maybe could be Nunzio in italian...
Serrotti I believed Siroti.....
But I had a perplexity... Siroti is a very rare surname in Italy.... so I think that maybe it could be SIDOTI.... also the fact that on a record the Millie father was Antonio and another Memcio seeming tho me that they no remembering very well .. and also the Millie birth place: San Francisco.. and from San Francisco, CA.. they lived in Cleveland, OH? Seeming more probable that NY going in OH....
Also abt Millie age.. I am positive that she was born after 1900 or in 1900 and lied abt age....
So I searched abt Sidoti ( first name: Nunzio or Nunziante or Nunziato)
and I found a Nunziante SIDOTI 44 old with wife M. Rosa LA TORRE 20 old coming from Roccella (Roccella Valdemone, Messina, Sicily, T)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
final destination: NY

Nunziato SIDOTI born in Roccella Valdemone on 28 Apr 1855 son of Antonino Sidoti and Carmela Giardina
pag 1
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
pag 2 http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

just a suggestion... and if my suggestion is right Mildred was born with name of Carmela Sidoti
suanj
maybe you missed the ship's manifest that I already found abt Nunziato and Rosa... they arrived on Feb 16, 1900..
Nunziato must be deceased after Carmelina/Mildred birth.... It could be helpful to find the 1905 NY census...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
elsantoro

Post by elsantoro »

Oh, I did miss that part! Grazie!
elsantoro

Post by elsantoro »

Raffaella, once again a big grazie for all of your help! My Father is thrilled by what we have found - especially the marriage record for Patsy and Millie! He was called a "bastard" by his stepfather who was very cruel. To see that marriage record to confirm that he was not a bastard and that his parents were married made him so happy. You helped bring dignity to a 98 year old man and I can't thank you enough!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I am happy of help you and your father!
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
elsantoro

Post by elsantoro »

I talked to my Dad and according to him, Millie's stepfather put her in a Catholic Orphanage so I think that solves this part of the puzzle. That would make her a ward of the church and Luigi was probably one of the clergy.

No wonder she married so young....
Biff83 wrote:On Mildred's 1915 marriage record to Patsy Santoro, consent was given by a Luigi Lopriore who stated she was his ward. Another clue?

Biff
elsantoro

Post by elsantoro »

Sadly, Papa passed away last week. I am forever grateful to you for finding this information and answering her questions before he passed away. He was so happy to have found where he came from!

Does a list with pictures exist of Italian WWI soldiers? Attached is my Father's picture, I'd love to find one of his father Pasquale. We don't have any pictures of Pasquale at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

My sincere condolences....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Missugarnah

Post by Missugarnah »

Leonardo Daniel Fasani aka Dan Fasani, (not Fasano) is my paternal grandmother's uncle & he resided at 629 Meridian St., Ravenna, Ohio. What does he have to do with any of this?

Jeanie
Biff83 wrote:Pasquale "Patsy" Santoro death certificate

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1307272

Ohio Military Men, 1917-18
Name:
Pasquale Santoro
Serial Number:
Race:
W
Residence:
629 Meridian St., Ravenna, O.
Enlistment Division:
National Army
Enlistment Location:
Ravenna, O.
Enlistment Date:
3 Sep 1918
Birth Place:
Viesti, Froggia, Italy
Birth Date / Age:
6 Jan 1895
Assigns Comment:
35 Co 9 Training Battalion 158 Depot Brigade to 30 Sept 1918; Headquarters Company 158 Depot Brigade to death. Private Died of broncho pneumonia 6 Oct 1918. Notified Dan Fasano, friend, 630 S. Prospect, Ravenna, O.

Biff
Nunzio

How to conduct family research

Post by Nunzio »

I will be in Vieste it in mid June 2019. I want to conduct family research retrieve birth certificates marriage certificates and learn more about family tree. Where do I go to do this? And are there any people in Vieste it that can help me
Thank you