How check mother has Italian citizenship w/ comune di pal

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
midoritori2014

How check mother has Italian citizenship w/ comune di pal

Postby midoritori2014 » 18 May 2014, 16:35

So, I am estranged with my mother (she is estranged with entire family really).

My mother's father was born in Sicily. So were her siblings.

I know that she was born in America though. BUT, she spent a few years in Ital,y a few times, when she was in high school and possibly younger. They went back and forth a lot to live.

I "think" she has duel citizenship, but I am really not sure. I know her siblings do. But again unsure as she was born here. And I can't ask her simply outright.

Is there a way I can just check with the comune di palermo as to whether they have any record of her? Could i simply email them? She was born in 1960s. Someone told me if she has an Italian citizenship, they would have a birth record of her. Is this true? Even if she wasn't born there?

If they said they had a record I could then pursue getting a hard copy.

So, does anyone know of a way to check with them? Could I simply email them? Or is this not possible.

Any help here would be so appreciated.

midoritori2014

Re: How check mother has Italian citizenship w/ comune di pa

Postby midoritori2014 » 18 May 2014, 17:00

Furthermore, is there a way to check with an Italian Consulate in the US?

Thanks!

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 27 May 2014, 11:31

If your mother's birth was registered by a parent then she'd have a birth cert in the comune, even if she was not born in Italy. However, even if her birth was never registered, she may still legally be an Italian citizen, albeit an unrecognized one. Contact the Stato Civile office in Palermo and request a copy of her birth cert. You can contact them by email, phone, snail mail, or fax. Comuni differ in how well they respond to various means of communication, so if one way doesn't work, try another.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 May 2014, 15:44

carubia wrote:If your mother's birth was registered by a parent then she'd have a birth cert in the comune, even if she was not born in Italy...

However, to the best of my knowledge...

In earlier years, the "books" for each year - birth, marriage, death - were closed at the end of the year and any event registered later was recorded in in section 2 ("Parte II") of the book for the year the registration was made, not the year in which the event occurred. So, for example, if a person was born in 1895 but his/her birth was not registered until 1901, it is the 1901 records which must be searched.

I don't know if this was still the case in 1960 but I suspect it was. In this case, it may be necessary to ask the comune to search Parte II for all years from 1960 to 1970-something.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”