Potenza Comune Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Potenza Comune Search

Postby mdyer » 18 May 2014, 19:04

I've been trying to determine where in Potenza my great-grandparents Giuseppe Ruota and Maria Rosa (La Rocca) were born/lived.

They married March 1, 1890 in Denver, Colorado. The original handwritten transcription of that marriage in the church's leather-bound register states:

Giuseppe Ruota son of Vincent and of Vincentia Marsicana of Potenza (Italy) and Maria Rosa La Rocca daughter of Pancratius (I learned from this message board that this is a Latin version of the Italian Pancrazio) and Maria Giuseppa de Malio of the same locality were married today.

An image of the transcribed record: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GofYOupWaaA/U ... iption.png

I'm not sure if this is telling me Potenza the province or more specifically the comune.

According to the 1900 US Federal Census: Giuseppe (later anglicized to Joseph Route) was born in March 1868 and arrived in the US in 1880. Maria Rosa (later went by Rose or Rosina Route) was born in May 1874 and arrived in the US in 1890 (or 1889 according to the 1910 census).

Even with these dates, I haven't been able to locate immigration records that could help narrow the search. I spent some time browsing the Potenza comune birth records, but I didn't have any luck. Any tips or pointers on locating them? I appreciate it.

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Potenza Comune Search

Postby PippoM » 19 May 2014, 13:59

Hello,
I suppose Census records do not state anything about naturalization, do they?
In what state did they live over the years?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 May 2014, 15:13

I did a little looking didn't see Giuseppe Ruota/Ruoti birth act in the year 1868 so I tried to look for his fathers death record with a wifes name of VIncenza in Potenza so I came up with this possible death record of Vincenzo Ruoti
INDEX #292
1883 Aug 9th in the town of Potenza in a house in strada di Monterale death of Vincenzo Ruoti age 56 (abt 1827) born in Potenza son of deceased Rocco Felice Ruoti and deceased Margherita d Bello and husband of Vincenza Raimondi (different wifes surname)
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A500261-00074.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 May 2014, 15:27

Birth record of Maria Filomena La Rocco
INDEX#182
1875 April 13th in the town of Potenza birth of Maria Filomena La Rocco daughter of Pancrazio La Rocca age 37 farmer and Maria Giuseppa Demelio
31053_A500010-00062.jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 20 May 2014, 15:47

great find Marty!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 May 2014, 18:47

Grazie Suanj

Marty

Marty

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 20 May 2014, 18:52

Wow! Thank you, Marty. These are great finds, and I feel like I'm back on a research path. Do you think the Ruota spelling was a Latinization of Ruoti for the church's marriage transcription?

I had previously been thinking the Ruota surname would result in a brick wall because it's my understanding that name was given to babies who were given up. Do you think Ruoti is similarly connected?

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 May 2014, 22:45

Death of Pancrazio La Rocca
INDEX#111
1887 Mar 7th in the town of Potenza death of Pancrazio La Rocca age 58(abt 1829) porter BORN IN TRICARICO MATERA son of deceased Rocco Vincenzo La Rocca and deceased Maria Vincenza Mobilio widower of Maria Giuseppa Demelio
31053_A500265-00029.jpg

Marty

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 20 May 2014, 23:02

Death of Maria Giuseppa De Melio
INDEX#130
1885 Mar 3rd in the town of Potenza death of Maria Giuseppa De Melio age 48 BORN IN PIGNOLA
daughter of deceased Saverio De Melio and Angela Spatuzzi wife of Pancrazio La Rocca
31053_A500263-00034.jpg

Marty

Marty

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 20 May 2014, 23:24

Marty, thank you so much! This is great!

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 21 May 2014, 02:45

You know I went through some of the Potenza birth indexes looking for siblings of Giuseppe Ruota son of Vincenzo and of Vincenza Marsicana didn't find any have you ever found any siblings with those parents.

Marty

Marty

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 21 May 2014, 03:13

No, I'm not aware of any siblings that Giuseppe Ruota/Ruoti may have had.

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 21 May 2014, 03:17

My mother has the Colorado-issued death certificate for Giuseppe (Joseph Route). I checked tonight and, curiously, it lists Giuseppe's mother's name as Vincencia Raimondi - matching (maiden name) the death record you found above for Vincenzo Ruoti.

I wonder why the maiden name discrepancy between Giuseppe's marriage certificate (made during his life) and the death record?

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 21 May 2014, 03:28

I had a feeling that was right death record. There is not many Vincenzo Routi in the death indexes of Potenza
The discrepancy could be the informat for the church record or the priest

Marty

Marty

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 21 May 2014, 06:00

I'm curious where/when Giuseppe Ruoti was born, and where the notation is located. Perhaps he was born before the civil records were begun (assuming that was around 1866 judging by the year FamilySearch's birth index begins for Potenza).

I wonder if the family moved to Potenza from a neighboring comune, given that Giuseppe didn't appear in the 1868 Potenza birth records or other year's indices and also that there were no signs of siblings.

I research other family who lived in Bojano/Molise. They never moved, which made them easy to track. And they had lots of children.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”