Mother looking for her birth mother Bari 1937

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rainyfacedsmile

Mother looking for her birth mother Bari 1937

Postby rainyfacedsmile » 27 May 2014, 03:26

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help or redirect me to a resource who can.

My mother was born in Bari in 1937. She was adopted at a few days old, and her birth certificate states she was born to "a woman whose name does not wish to be mentioned". She emigrated to the US in 1962 and has returned to Bari many times over the years in search of her birth mother and/or a document revealing her identity to no avail. She believes there IS a document with her mother's name either in the city records, state archives, or church records which must indicate her mother's identity (such as a complete birth certificate, or relinquishment of parental rights upon surrendering her to the orphanage where she was placed). I would give anything to help my 76 yr old mamma finally find her mother's name - the very start of her family tree, as this question has haunted her all of her adult life. If anyone can help or offer resources, please advise.
Thank you!!

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Mother looking for her birth mother Bari 1937

Postby adelfio » 27 May 2014, 14:44

Welcome to IG website
You say you have the birth certificate does it show the fathers name? Can you post the birth record?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

rainyfacedsmile

Postby rainyfacedsmile » 29 May 2014, 16:33

Hi Marty,

Thank you!
The birth certificate does NOT list the father's name. I will get a copy & post.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 30 May 2014, 14:52

There was/is a hospital in Rome where women who were carrying the offspring of Catholic priests went to give birth anonymously with their faces covered and then gave the child up for adoption. If your mother's case is a similar situation, she may never find out the name of her mother.

rainyfacedsmile

Postby rainyfacedsmile » 30 May 2014, 21:42

As are most cases of adoption, if not all, we realize the birth parents conceived under some type of turmoil - rape, molestation, adultery, incest, etc, etc which prevented them from raising the offspring produced. For 76 years, the last 30 or so in active search have brought no answers. However, we believe there was a document somewhere at some time that listed her mother's name and it has been concealed (inhumanely) by either the Catholic church or the local city officials who would hold such a document. The real question is now, does such a document exist (did it ever) and can we obtain it?

rainyfacedsmile

Postby rainyfacedsmile » 30 May 2014, 21:44

She was born in the home of a mid-wife. When she finally received that information in her twenties, she immediately when to this woman's home. Unfortunately she had died and was not given access to her records.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 30 May 2014, 23:36

Without a name (at least a first name) for your mother's birth mother, I don't see how you can find any type of record. The fact that your mother returned to Bari several times and was never successful sounds like it could have been a case where the birth mother and her entire family were anonymous and that no one in the town ever knew of the pregnancy. Residents of towns do gossip when they know things and there could be people in the town and/or the commune that may even think your mother resembles a certain family but apparently they aren't aware of any pregnancies that family may have hushed up so could not give you any clues. This is very unfortunate but not uncommon because it happens a lot in Italy. I live in Italy and I've heard all sorts of stories. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”