MARRIAGE SEARCH IN MESSINA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

MARRIAGE SEARCH IN MESSINA

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 31 May 2014, 01:28

OVER THE LAST 15 YEARS I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE MARRIAGE RECORD-IF THERE IS ONE-FOR FRANCESCO LANDINO(SALVATORE AND ROSALIA MANCUSO) AND MARIA BONARRIGO(DOMENICO AND MATTIA PULEIO).THIS SEARCH HAS COVERED VIRTUALLY EVERY COMUNE IN THE AREA IN AND AROUND BARCELLONA POZZO DI GOTTO.NOT ONE SOLID LEAD SO FAR.MARIA BONARRIGO WAS THE SURROGATE MOTHER AND WETNURSE OF MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER,MARIA COSTANTE,WHO WAS BORN IN BARCELLONA IN 1883"IGNOTI GENITORI"(COSTANTE IS NO DOUBT ONE OF MANY NAMES GIVEN TO CHILDREN BORN OF UNKNOWN PARENTS.IGNOTI).FRANCESCO LANDINO WAS HER HUSBAND.FRANCESCO WAS BORN IN PALERMO IN 1851.MARIA WAS BORN IN GUALTIERI SICAMINO,NEAR BARCELLONA,IN 1847.BESIDES SEARCHING IN PALERMO(1820-1895 ONLINE MARRIAGE INDEX),GUALTIERI,BARCELLONA,AND VIRTUALLY EVERY COMUNE IN THE AREA,I'VE HAD ZERO RESULTS.TIMEWISE,THE MARRIAGE MOST LIKELY OCCURRED CA.1867-1872(ALLOWING FOR THE AGES OF FRANCESCO AND MARIA-AND THE FACT THAT THEIR OLDEST CHILD,SALVATORE,WAS BORN IN 1872).A DAUGHTER,MATTIA,WAS BORN IN 1880.I FOUND NO OTHER CHILDREN BORN TO THIS COUPLE,EITHER BEFORE 1872,BETWEEN 1872 AND 1880,AND AFTER 1880.JUST THESE 2 CHILDREN.THIS IS A REAL MYSTERY FOR WHICH THERE SEEMS TO BE NO ANSWER.POSSIBLY THERE WAS A CHURCH MARRIAGE BUT NO CIVIL MARRIAGE.POSSIBLY NO MARRIAGE AT ALL-ALTHOUGH,IN THE 1872 BIRTH OF SON SALVATORE,MARIA BONARRIGO IS NOTED AS THE LEGITIMATE WIFE OF FRANCESCO.AFTER 15 YEARS OF LITERALLY COVERING EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE,I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO GO NEXT.ANY SUGGESTIONS OR INPUT INTO THIS MYSTERY WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED

carubia
Master
Master

Re: MARRIAGE SEARCH IN MESSINA

Postby carubia » 31 May 2014, 02:45

Is the caps lock button on your keyboard broken? If not, please stop shouting at us.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 31 May 2014, 02:50

nothing intentional.i guess i just see large type as making my statements easier to read to anyone looking for details.no idea how this is interpreted as shouting.when i read detailed search requests,i'm more likely to absord the pertinent information if its larger print.makes it stand out better and easier to read.but everyones different i guess

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 31 May 2014, 02:54

On the internet writing in full caps is considered the equivalent of shouting and is generally regarded as rude. This has been common knowledge for many years.

Where were their children born?

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 31 May 2014, 03:00

as i noted in the post,francesco landino and maria bonarrigo,to my knowledge,only had 2 children-salvatore(b.1872)and mattia(b.1880) both in barcellona pozzo di gotto.salvatore named after francesco's father and mattia named after maria's mother(following the naming pattern of italians-1st son after paternal grandfather,1st daughter after paternal grandmother,2nd son after maternal grandfather,and 2nd daughter after maternal grandmother).this could indicate that a daughter,who would have been named rosa,after francesco's mother,would have been born between 1872 and 1880-and possibly another son,who would have been named domenico,after maria's father,after 1872.if there were any other children born to this couple,i have no idea when or where.i checked barcellona civil records from ca.1867 right up to ca.1890-and only found these 2

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 02 Jun 2014, 10:10

I've done some research with Barcellona P.G. records, since that's my "hometown," but it's difficult since it is relatively large (and my family's surnames are very common). I've checked a couple of years for Landino births and marriages and when I get a chance I'll search others, but it will take a while since I don't have all the indexes printed out like I do for towns in Agrigento.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 02 Jun 2014, 13:00

i've checked both births(late 1860s to late 1880s)for any chidren born to francesco landino and maria bonarrigo(other than salvatore in 1872 and mattia in 1880),as well as their probable marriage years-late 1860s to early 1870s-and theres nothing there.i've rechecked the indexes several time.and i believe theyre all indexed.this is why i started expanding my search to many of the surrounding comuni like gualtieri sicamino,santa lucia del mela,san filippo del mela,pace del mela,san pier niceto,meri,milazzo,etc.nothing.and i not only checked all of this personally at lds-i also wrote letters of inquiry to all the civil records offices in all of these comuni-sometimes several times.you might say i've dome my homework.not a thing.this is 10-15 years of research.god knows where these people married and possibly had other children!definitely not in barcellona.the husband,francesco,appears to have been somewhat of a shadowy figure.not a very big presence in his family's life.in 1880,at the birth of his daughter mattia,he's noted as being"of unknown residence",and while his wife maria bonarrigo,my grandmothers original wetnurse,caregiver,and"adoptive mother"appears as the sole parent to my grandmother,and residing continually in barcellona until they immigrated together in 1902 to boston(maria bonarrigo died 1 week after arrival),nothing further seems to have been heard or seen of francesco,who according to maria's 1902 death record,survived her.son salvatore resided in boston for a few years(it was to salvatore's that the 2 women were coming to in 1902)but soon afterwards relocated to new york,where his wife was from.as francesco did not die in new york(i checked the italgen online deaths for new york that cover years up to 1948)or boston(he didnt immigrate with wife maria,from whom it appears he was long estranged),i wouldnt know where to begin in searching for him.possibly he returned to palermo and died there,as he had at least 1 brother living there.probably not in messina-and definitely not in the usa.this is so untypical of italian immigrant families and patterns,as most families settled in as a unit,with the father arriving first and sending for his wife and/or children later.this search is so confusing and entangling,and its hardly gotten better after all these years of research

Return to “Italian Genealogy”