Italian translator to English

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian translator to English

Postby ray1955 » 02 Jun 2014, 16:34

I am having trouble with my Sicilian language Emails.
The information in Google Translator does not come out very well and I am missing a lot of information because of it I was wondering if anyone can recommend a translator online.
One that does not cost, what would you say is the best one?

Thanks,

Ray
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian translator to English

Postby erudita74 » 02 Jun 2014, 17:39

ray1955 wrote:I am having trouble with my Sicilian language Emails.
The information in Google Translator does not come out very well and I am missing a lot of information because of it I was wondering if anyone can recommend a translator online.
One that does not cost, what would you say is the best one?

Thanks,

Ray

Personally, Ray, I don't think you're going to find any online translator which will accurately translate your Sicilian emails. When I used to use online translators to communicate with a distant cousin in Spanish who lives in Argentina (I can read the language but have never formally studied it and can't write in the language), she basically told me to write to her in English. She could understand more from my English than from the Spanish the translator was giving me. I would think that with Sicilian, particularly if you have a specific Sicilian dialect, you will never find an online translator to help you with your emails.

Here's one website though that might help you with some of the Sicilian

http://www.dieli.net/SicilyPage/Sicilia ... ulary.html

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 03 Jun 2014, 15:05

Did someone really write to you an email in Sicilian?
Are you sure of it??
It sounds so odd...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby ray1955 » 03 Jun 2014, 17:27

Well my cousin is in Sicily and yes they are Italian. So it is Italian and it is of the Sicilian dialect I am thinking cousin if it was just Italian I would think the translator could do it, but because of the part of the country they live, it is not making complete senses sometimes. Thats what I am thinking anyways.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Postby PippoM » 04 Jun 2014, 08:12

I don't think nowadays someone can write dialect. Above all, if he is so skilled to use email.
If you don't think email is so private, you can send me one you can't translate by PM , and I'll tell you whether it is dialect or not.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 04 Jun 2014, 10:29

PippoM wrote:I don't think nowadays someone can write dialect. Above all, if he is so skilled to use email.
If you don't think email is so private, you can send me one you can't translate by PM , and I'll tell you whether it is dialect or not.

Pippo, I'm wondering whether it might be that the emails are basically written in Italian but the occasional Sicilian words are being used - just a thought :) – not that I am too much of a fan of google translator anyway, it often distorts the meaning of what has been written or doesn't seem to make sense - but it does have its place :) .

(When my husband and I moved away from our home town mum wrote to me in “her Italian”. She wrote exactly how she spoke, using Saponarese words, which of course I was familiar with, because Saponarese was spoken in our home, not “pure” Italian. Initally, it was a bit tricky for me to read, but very soon I could understand the letters. On the other hand, if dad wrote to me, (not too often), he wrote in “pure” Italian, and I really struggled to understand what he was saying. It was a nightmare. “Pure” Italian was only spoken at home when visitors from Northern Italy visited and I never really understood it.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby ray1955 » 04 Jun 2014, 11:22

Pippo try this one.
caro Ray hai ragione sono i nonni giuseppe e rosalia Alacchi e' la
stessa foto che cercavo io da mio padre oggi.nella foto di gruppo la
signora in nero e' la nonna che assomiglia molto alla mia nonna loreta
spoto poi c'e' la zia sara lo zio rocco,lo zio saro. e io assomiglio
molto alla zia Sara .a noi non funziona lo scanner ti prometto che in
questi giorni te le invio ciao.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Postby PippoM » 05 Jun 2014, 08:02

Ray,
this is Italian, even though some punctuation is missing.
However , I agree with Angela...I translated some letters for users of the Forum, and they were written in an Italian that was basically a translation from dialect: Google Translator would never have translated it!
This one says:
Dear Ray, you are right. They are (our) GP Giuseppe and Rosalia Alacchi. It is the same photo I was searching at my father's today. In the group photo, the lady in black is GM, who looks a lot like my GM Loreta Spoto, then, there's aunt Sara, uncle Rocco, uncle Saro. And I look a lot like aunt Sara. Our scanner is not working, but I promise I will send them (the photos) to you in the next few days. Ciao.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby ray1955 » 05 Jun 2014, 11:18

Well you did that very nice too bad your not reading these. I have received some important ones where they are explaining a photo or telling me their children's names but its hard to know who goes with who because of the way the translator does it. But the above is easy to understand. LOL….thank you.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy