translating a family legal document

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonimg

translating a family legal document

Post by tonimg »

I have several legal documents written in Italian and dating from the last half of the 19th century. I'm keen to find out what they're about. I don't require a word-for-word translation, but just the general gist. I can supply background information to provide a context. Is anyone able to help me with this? (It is quite challenging!) I'll upload the first page of one as an illustration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: translating a family legal document

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you don't dsay what documents you are talking about, why not try to obtain the reference book ITALIAN GENEALOGICAL RECORDS by Trafford R. Cole which contains basic information and examples of Italian documents that may very well answer your questions directly...
~Peter~
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Peter,
If you looked at the poster's pdf file, you would see that this kind of document is a document type not referenced or explained in Trafford Cole's book.
Erudita
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

So someone is still educated in Italian Genealogy. The way I work, he learns about genealogy, and will either get back explaining himself more completely and wait for a reply. Why should I do his research as to whether the document is found in the book or not?? :Let him tell me so I know he learned something.
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Are we here to help users............. Everyone has a different way to do that. If you can help in the research great.........

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Adelfio how many people do you think really can or want to do the research that you and I are willing to do...Often they need encouragement by referring them to do simple genealogy chores so they get the idea that their inquiries are collaborative and not entirely dependent upon you or me
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Most people posting their first post have very little information about Italian civil records or Italian traditions or translating. There are so many online records and sites for info users need the help.If you have that knowledge I figure use it for that benefit

Ciao Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I agree with you 100% and feel compelled when I am convinced that the inquirer is indeed unable or intellectually incapable of dealing with the multiplicity of genealogical details of sites,sources and record availability. However I still feel that it is "our" job to familiarize inquirers with basic or more advanced genealogy sources of information to be able to not only learn but to also enjoy researching their own personal objectives. My experience in Italian genealogy was made more enjoyable for me when I did my own researches here in NY and in Italy concerning my own family genealogy, learning as I went along not only for my purposes but also for others who made inquiries which I became familiar with thru my own efforts. It is evident you are a very generous man.
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

tonimg wrote:I have several legal documents written in Italian and dating from the last half of the 19th century. I'm keen to find out what they're about. I don't require a word-for-word translation, but just the general gist. I can supply background information to provide a context. Is anyone able to help me with this? (It is quite challenging!) I'll upload the first page of one as an illustration.
the document is a Claim Statement ( I know no the right english words for a Dichiarazione di Rivendicazione)presented by Giuseppe Lucini attorney in Tirano town, in the name and for the priest Don Martino son of late Martino SERTORIO, and of Antonio Bianchin SERTORIO son of late Antonio SERTORIO (maybe they was cousins) proprietors of Bianzone town;

from what I understand,
they had a benefit ; this benefit ( who know the benefit matter?) was estabilished on 7 aug 1745 by Mrs Elisabetta Lera daughter of late Giacomo; the priest come into possession of this benefit on 12 Jan 1825..
for some reason the benefit was suppressed and the priest Don Martino Sertorio and Antonio Bianchin Sertorio claim the ownership; the benefit value was of £ 4.220 and the taxes was for a amount £ 316,50

this "benefit" I believe was a property in Piana di Bianzone...
but no further details.....
hoping helpful
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH