Father's Place of Birth

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donvito357

Father's Place of Birth

Post by donvito357 »

My father Antonio C Orlando was born in Motta Camastra, Sicily May 25, 1895. In 1910 the family moved to Delianuova (Calabria).

My father immigrated to the U.S. in 1920. He died March 27, 1976.

My father has always told everyone (even his request for Social Security) that he was born in Delianuova.

He had a sister who was also born in Motta Camastra and all information she indicated she was born in Delianuova.

My father was 15 and his sister was 8 when the family moved from Motta Camastra to Delianuova.

Can anyone give me any insight why both my father and his sister would give false information as to where they were born.

Sam
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Father's Place of Birth

Post by VaDeb »

The mysteries of genealogy research. It will be interesting to see what replies you get.

In the US did they live in a neighborhood where they wanted to be indentified as Calabrian and not Sicilian?

Debbie
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Debbie:

My father initially went to Franklin, Pa with a cousin from Delianuova. Then he moved to Harrisburg, Pa where his sister joined him. As I remember most of the friends and relatives where from Calabria.

Sam
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Please see the birth registries on LSD microfilm :
Registri dello stato civile, 1821-1910 Motta Camastra (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile
se are the birthact is born in Motta di Camastra, otherwhise in Delianuova.. on ship's manifest he declare that was born in Delianuova.. most probable is so .. why on ship's manifest the info are copied from emigrant's italian passport .. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

I have a copy of his birth certificate from Messina. He was born in Motta Camastra May 25, 1895. Father: Vicenzo Orlando, Mother: Vella Carmella.

Sam
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Just wondering, how or where did you get this copy of this birth certificate...?? It does seem odd... though the birth year does seem correct... (was looking at some ship records...), will repost later with further info...

Also, what was his sister's name and her year of birth? Did you find her ship's record? If so, what was the date of entry...

If he had any brothers, please mention.

Also, was his father ever in the USA?

I don't see what the connection to Motta Camastra is either...
No Orlando's, or Vella's from Motta either....

Would this be your Antonio's manifest?

First Name: Antonio Last Name: Orlando
Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: Delianova, Italy
Date of Arrival: October 20, 1920 Age at Arrival:  25y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S   Ship of Travel: Logan
Port of Departure: Naples Manifest Line Number: 0012

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0828%2ETIF

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Also, this manifest mentions a father Vincenzo in Italy... could this be yours too?

The manifest of 1920 also mentions that Antonio was in the USA from 1914-1915...

Here is a 1914 manifest...

First Name: Antonino Last Name: Orlando
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South Last Place of Residence: Maiorato, Catanzaro
Date of Arrival: April 03, 1914 Age at Arrival:  17y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S   Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0030
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0128%2ETIF
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

donvito357 wrote: Can anyone give me any insight why both my father and his sister would give false information as to where they were born.

Sam
if you already have the birth certificate, well is possible that in ship's manifest the info are incorrect, it is already happened with some others records.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Forgot to mention, my father Antonio C Orlando had a cousin with the name Antonio Orlando (middle inital unknown) who also came from Delianuova and went to Franklin, Pa. I am going to try and contact old family friends and see if I can find out when he came to the U.S.

Sam
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Sam, glad you replied...

I did find some info on the Orlando's while reviewing your own Antonio.

The info below came from Maria Orlando's manifest...

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Orlando
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian S.
Last Place of Residence: Delianova, Italy
Date of Arrival: June 04, 1920
Age at Arrival:  33y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Taormina
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0022

Maria Orlando (age 33) is off to brother Antonio Orlando’s home in Franklyn NY (332 Pacific St)
place of birth is listed as Delianova
place of residence is listed as Delianova
Uncle Domenico Orlando is the closest living relative in Italy

Travels with sister Giuseppa age 25 and
mother Grazia Luppino age 64, a widow, (brother in law is Dominic Orlando), son Antonio paid for this voyage...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0099%2ETIF
-----------------

Could this be "cousin" Antonio's family...?? ... also noticed that in a couple of manifest they wrote Franklyn NY and Franklin PA.... maybe more manifest errors...

mfjp
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

This could not be my father's sister. This Maria would have to have been born in 1887. My father's sister was born Oct 4, 1902.

Thanks.

Sam

PS: Received father's birth cert from Camastra and Messina.
My father did not have any brothers only three sisters.
His father was never in the US but mother Vella Carmela visited in the early 1930s.

The Antonio Orlando from Franklin was born 1892/1893. He came to the US on July 03, 1911 and served in the US Military. He died at age 60, July 12, 1953.

Sam
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Hello Again:

Has anytone noticed the similarity of the data on the Antonio Orlando who came to the US on Sep 20, 1920 and Oct 20, 1920. Same age, same town, same ship etc. Did anyone see that on the Sep 20, 1920 manifest with his name on it had "Stowaway" at the top. Do you think he may have been returned to Italy on the same ship he entered (Logan) and came back the next month on the Logan, possible paying or working for his passage. Also on Oct 20, 1920 he listed as being met by his brother, Carmelo Orlando going to Franklin, Pa. My father did not have a brother and of interest is his middle name is Carmela.

Thanks,

Sam
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Sam, just to clarify,
Could this be "cousin" Antonio's family...?? ... also noticed that in a couple of manifest they wrote Franklyn NY and Franklin PA.... maybe more manifest errors...
I never said that this was your Antonio's sister...?

Could this be "cousin" Antonio's sister... or your Antonio's cousin...

That is what I was trying to explain...
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Could you link us the manifest of September 1920??

Here's the October 1920 manifest...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0281130270
donvito357

Post by donvito357 »

Sorry about my misreading your intent on the Maria Orlando Info.

I cannot give you a link to the Sep 20, 1920 because it no longer exists. I was comparing the latest Oct 20, 1920 entry with one that I made a copy of about a year ago.

It appears they are exactly the same entry except the one I have a copy of has a Sep 20, 1920 date of arrival and has "Stowaway" at the top. The October 20, 1920 date of arrival also has "Stowaway" at the top and has a September date at the top of the manifest. The Sep 20th 1920 entry did not have being met by "brother Carmelo Orlando". As previously stated my father only had 3 sisters and no brothers and my father's middle name is Carmela.

I guess things have not changed very much with the I.N.S.