Issue with LDS microfilm - advice needed!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Issue with LDS microfilm - advice needed!

Postby jkingb » 13 Jul 2014, 21:55

I have been researching Torino via church records (1823+) from the following collection: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

At this point, I have viewed close to 50 microfilms from this collection (as each year typically corresponds to one film). No problems unit recently - one film has images completely blurred, making any navigation is impossible (the film has practically every commune from Torino for the year 1834, and sometimes finding the proper section can be difficult enough even with clear images). . I checked the beginning, middle, and end and the quality is consistently very poor. I am curious if anyone knows whether this is a film issue or something else - i.e., if I order a different copy, will it be the same? From my experience, some films are better in quality than others, but I have never had one that was completely illegal throughout. So I wondered if it was a problem with the way this particular film was processed, rather than issues with the original material. Does anyone have advice?
I attached an image as an example. This is the best resolutionI could get!

Thanks for any advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Issue with LDS microfilm - advice needed!

Postby erudita74 » 13 Jul 2014, 22:06

I know that, when I used to order microfilms through a local family history center, if a film was in really poor condition, it was possible to have the volunteers send it back and ask for the best copy available to be resent in its place. So I would bring it to the attention of the volunteers at your center and see if they can get you another copy.
Erudita

jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Issue with LDS microfilm - advice needed!

Postby jkingb » 13 Jul 2014, 22:28

Thanks, Erudita. That gives me hope! I am 90% certain that a much wanted marriage record will appear in this film-if I could only read it.. I will try calling the film ordering department tomorrow to see if they can replace the film.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”