Carmella Scardino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Carmella Scardino

Postby gallohjc » 21 Jul 2014, 07:28

Great Grandparents Angelo Natale Scardino and Lucia Taglialavore married 19 Feb 1901and had 3 children before coming to U.S. Carmella 24 Nov 1901, Maria 30 Nov 1902 and Pasquale 25 May 1905. Have birth register for Maria and Pasquale but cannot find Carmella. Family was from Cianciana, Agrigento,Sicily.

Any assistance appreciated.

Helen Gallo

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Carmella Scardino

Postby carubia » 21 Jul 2014, 10:56

As you probably already know, there are no Scardino's in the birth index for 1901 in Cianciana except for Anna, born in July to Giuseppe & Gaetana Cona. What is your source for Carmela's date and place of birth? What were Angelo and Lucia's parents' names?

gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gallohjc » 21 Jul 2014, 15:05

Angelo's parents were Pasquale Scardino and Carmella Marra. Lucia's parents were Clemente Taglialavore and Maria Cannata.

Carmella's birth date was provided by her family. They knew nothing else about her birth in Sicily so it's possible that date is off. I did check several years records for Cianciana (1899,1900, 1901, 1902) but could not find her.

Helen

gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gallohjc » 21 Jul 2014, 15:11

Sorry, I forgot the location. Angelo and Lucia were born in Cianciana, married there and their 2nd and 3rd children (Maria and Pasquale) were born there. I assumed their 1st (Carmella) was also born there.

Helen

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 22 Jul 2014, 01:09

There are various possibilities. Here are some:

1. The birth occurred in a different comune.

2. The birth occurred in early 1902.

3. The birth occurred out of wedlock, before 1901. Under this scenario the name on the birth record may be Taglialavore.

4. The birth was not indexed. Check the records one-by-one, especially around November.

5. The birth wasn't reported until years later. Check the Part II in later years. It could even have been reported in a Part I in a later year. (I've seen a birth reported in Part I 19 years after it occurred!) When did the family leave Italy?

6. The birth was indexed under a different surname. It could be Taglialavore, or the father's mother's name, or anything that looks or sounds like Scardino. You could even check all birth records for anyone named Carmela or Carmelo.

7. Pasquale had a twin sister. She may have been listed on the same record or a different, nearby (but not necessarily consecutive) one.

gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gallohjc » 22 Jul 2014, 04:41

Carubia,

Have tried #2, 3 and 4. Will try 5 and 6.

Now 7 - Pasquale had a twin sister? How did you find this?

Angelo arrived Ellis Island 5 April 1905 on the ship Roma. Lucia and her children Carmella, age 6 - Marie, age 4 and Pasquale, age 2 arrived Ellis Island 17 March 1907 on the ship Cedric. All lived in Philadelphia, PA. Lucia gave birth to 11 more children. Lucia died 1941 and Angelo 1947.

Will be difficult to check other communes since there are so many. But will try all avenues.

Thanks so much.

Helen

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 22 Jul 2014, 04:47

No, I was just saying that's a possibility (that he had a twin sister). I didn't actually check it myself. Moreover, if you already looked at his birth record and searched the index for that year, you would probably know if he did, so he probably didn't.

Edit to add: Sorry, I meant that Maria may have had a twin sister, not Pasquale.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”