City with Tortoriche family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

City with Tortoriche family

Postby smithpa1 » 07 Jun 2005, 07:24

My great-grandmother was Maritia Tortoriche, I can't find that name in Sicily, I assume that's where she is from, since my great-grandfather, Rosario Allotta was from. Only ones I could find were in Italy.
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: City with Tortoriche family

Postby VaDeb » 07 Jun 2005, 07:49

perhaps you can find an immigration record. Can you provide her year of birth? Have you found her on the US census? Where in the US did they live? What was the names of their children? If you can provide some additional details we can try and help you.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby smithpa1 » 07 Jun 2005, 08:29

They immigrated to New Orleans in 1895, but she was already married to my grandfather, Rosario Allotta, Alto, Allotto, Allota, (different spelling of his first name and last). They are in the 1910 census and 1920 census in Tangipahoa Parish (County) Tickfaw, Louisiana. They lived there until both of their deaths, his around 1940, not sure about her. I know where they are buried, but no permanent markers are on the tombs.

My grandfather Sam, isn't showing up anywhere except the death notice for 1977, but he lived in Tickfaw all his life.

Really struggling to find data.
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby smithpa1 » 07 Jun 2005, 08:35

Sorry, I forgot to give you children's names.
Lawrence, Dominic, Sam, Frank, John, Nichio (Nace), Josephine and Carmelia.

Paula
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 11 Jun 2005, 10:38

Hi Paula,
I found on the index "Birds of Passage" Rosario Allotta arrived in New Orleans on the Elysia, 11/4/1895, line 108. He is 35 and from Trabia.

Line 109 is Rosa Allotta, female, 9 years old, and a relative of Rosario.

Line 110 is Mattea Turturici, female, 29 and from Trabia.

Also on line 128 is Ignazio Tortorici, male, 27, from Bisacquino.

This sounds like your family and Nace could be named for "Uncle Ignazio" It gives you two Sicilian towns to look for records. Hope this helps.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby smithpa1 » 11 Jun 2005, 20:55

:D Thank you so much for the information, this is great. It looks like great-grandmother's name was spelled incorrectly, like so many are. Thank you again, the information will help me in a new direction.

Paula
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby smithpa1 » 15 Jun 2005, 05:47

Thanks again for the information. Can I access the information you found
> for me. If Ignazio is relative, why would his last name be spelled
> different from my grandmother? How would I get a copy of this
information,
> or any ship's manifest.
Paula
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 16 Jun 2005, 03:59

Hi,
You can look up the ship manifest records at your local Family History Center. You will need to order the correct roll of microfilm. Visit familysearch.org and search the library catalog for the following subject, "Louisiana, Orleans, New Orleans - Emigration and immigration"

I found your names on an index on CD "Birds of passage : an annotated listing of Italian immigrants who departed Palermo, Sicily [i.e. Italy] and arrived at the Port of New Orleans, Louisiana, 1859-1901 by Rosemary DePasquale Boykin. But you have all the information on that entry.

As far as the different spellings, most immigrants were illiterate so their names were written as they sounded and the manifests are hand written so it could be an error in the transcription. Old records are rarely exact. Good luck!
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby smithpa1 » 16 Jun 2005, 07:15

sazzlynn wrote:Hi,
You can look up the ship manifest records at your local Family History Center. You will need to order the correct roll of microfilm. Visit familysearch.org and search the library catalog for the following subject, "Louisiana, Orleans, New Orleans - Emigration and immigration"

I found your names on an index on CD "Birds of passage an annotated listing of Italian immigrants who departed Palermo, Sicily [i.e. Italy] and arrived at the Port of New Orleans, Louisiana, 1859-1901 by Rosemary DePasquale Boykin. But you have all the information on that entry.

As far as the different spellings, most immigrants were illiterate so their names were written as they sounded and the manifests are hand written so it could be an error in the transcription. Old records are rarely exact. Good luck!

Thanks again for your help.
Paula
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 26 Jun 2005, 10:13

Hi Paula,
If you are interested, the address for the Baton Rouge Catholic Diocese (which includes Tickfaw) is P.O. Box 2028, Baton Rouge, LA 70821. There are 2 churches in the area that served the Italian community, Mater Dolorosa and Holy Ghost. Sometimes the records have additional information like "native of". If you purchase copies of the church records be sure to ask for microfilm copies otherwise you will get an extraction printed on a new certificate. The archivists there are very helpful and love to help geneologists. Delia
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy