Italian Civil Records Index Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Italian Civil Records Index Search

Postby rp76226 » 01 Aug 2014, 00:04

Has anyone kept a record of either the annual indices for Italian towns' actual birth, marriage, and death records or at least he index page numbers so that they could be quickly and easily found on the Italy Digitalized Records from the Mormon family search site? Many of you do a lot of research so that having copies of these civil record indices or knowing the pages where these indices are located on the digitalized records would save a lot of time from manually locating them each time essentially through educated guesses and trial and error. If you have, would you be willing to share that information? The towns that I am most interested in are for Sicily in the Agrigento and Palermo regions such as - Racalmuto, Petralia Soprano, Cerda, Polizzi Generosa, Corleone, Canicatti, Prizzi.... and on the mainland - Altamura, Grumo Appula, Pago Veiano

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Italian Civil Records Index Search

Postby adelfio » 01 Aug 2014, 14:30

I have indexes but I don't have those towns for Agrigento I use ancestry which has the indexes and for Bari I use Antenati which have indexes listed on the year you are searching or in Corleone I use the church records which has indexes in the front and sometimes in the middle if there is over 400 pages

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 01 Aug 2014, 15:54

Thanks Marty. Ancestry.com hasn't added Italian records seemingly for years. They have so much less data, towns, and years covered than the Mormon digitalized Italian records. I stopped subscribing to them because they are nearly useless for me now that I've extracted the Italian records they did have. Palermo is nearly non-existent for them.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 02 Aug 2014, 09:18

I have an almost complete set for the town of Ribera in Agrigento. I have indexes for virtually every birth, death, and marriage record that the LDS church has, from 1821 to 1929, except for death records in 1824 and after 1918 (still working on those). All of the indexes that were not alphabetical I have transcribed into Excel, and I have also created my own Excel indexes for record collection that did not include indexes.

I have some for other towns in the province, too, such as Sambuca and Santa Margherita, but not for the towns you mention. (Well, maybe I have downloaded a few indexes for Canicatti, but if so, not many.)

Ancestry has added a huge amount of Italian records from Family Search in the past couple of months or so. A lot of Sicilian birth records, in particular. For some strange reason, though, they don't contain the ages of the parents, even though the info is in the family search records.

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 02 Aug 2014, 15:56

If they don't contain the ages and family search does, then these Ancestry records are not the original Italian civil records written in Italian. That's what I'm after more than someone added undocumented records to Family Search in English which it publishes, but may not be valid. Ancestry should be breaking new ground that Family search hasn't touched regarding Italian civil records in addition to each copying the records from the other. The job would get done quicker if two were working on it, instead of one.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 03 Aug 2014, 01:59

I checked to see if I have any Canicatti indexes, but no, only Calamonaci and Cianciana ones, and what I do have for those towns was downloaded. I haven't scanned any microfilms for those towns or transcribed any indexes.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”