Sources for Death Records Around 1945

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jrbonk

Sources for Death Records Around 1945

Postby jrbonk » 02 Aug 2014, 19:03

Hi -

I'm looking for some death records for family that lived in Aquaviva Collecroce, Campobasso, Italy and died supposedly during WW2. I've been told that my Great Grandfather died from bombings during the war an was hoping to confirm the date of his death.

Does anyone know of good locations for this information? I've tried ancestry.com, familysearch.org and http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/ to no avail.

Thanks,

Jeff

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sources for Death Records Around 1945

Postby adelfio » 02 Aug 2014, 22:14

You would have to write for that info but you need a year What year was he born? The information could be on his birth act

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 03 Aug 2014, 11:19

jrbonk

Postby jrbonk » 05 Aug 2014, 15:03

Thanks Joann, I looked at the site but it appears to only lists soldiers who died during WWI and not civilian casualties for WWII.

Adelfio - My great grandfather is Luigi Mattiaccio and was born in 1861. Who would i write to for death information?

Thanks,

- Jeff

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Aug 2014, 16:11

You can write to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Municipio
86030 Acquaviva Collecroce (CB)
ITALY

Be sure to provide some form of ID when you make your request.

You might also include a copy of your GGF birth record from 1861
Here is the link:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Dated 17 July 1861 – birth on 16th
Mother: Costanza Mireo(sp?), 40, (wife)
Father: Giuseppe Mattiaccio, 46, peasant farmer

Baptized on the 17th at Chiesa di S. Maria Ester – (check with the church for death record)

Address:
PARROCCHIA S. MARIA ESTER
Piazza Nicola Neri 4
86030 Acquaviva Collecroce (CB)
ITALY

T.

jrbonk

Postby jrbonk » 06 Aug 2014, 15:17

Thanks again Tessa! You have given me a few leads for copies of the death records.

My mom has always told me that Luigi and his son died while working in the fields in Italy from an allied bombing. Would be nice to confirm this at least through the date of death. Would you know if something like this would be reported in any local papers?

- Jeff

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Aug 2014, 16:19

jrbonk wrote:Thanks again Tessa! You have given me a few leads for copies of the death records.

My mom has always told me that Luigi and his son died while working in the fields in Italy from an allied bombing. Would be nice to confirm this at least through the date of death. Would you know if something like this would be reported in any local papers?

- Jeff

I don't think you would find local papers with this kind of information.

Make contact with the civil office and with the local church. One of them should be able to give you a date of death/burial. Records USUALLY do not give a cause of death, so it may be difficult to verify the story. BTW-You may need to offer a donation to the church to obtain the record of burial :-)

FYI - In the birth record for Luigi I posted above... the mother's surname is MIRCO

You might also think about writing to MATTIACCIOs in the area...
Italian Phone Book lists none in Acquaviva Collecroce, but there are 11 listings within 11 km.
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... e+%28CB%29
Potential relatives????? Maybe someone can help?

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”