Death record translation help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjclayton1
Rookie
Rookie

Death record translation help

Postby mjclayton1 » 03 Aug 2014, 22:14

Numero: 484

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350158201

This is what I get out of it:

Date of record: 15 Jul 1887 at 11:10 In the A.M.
Before: Cesare Mariani, Secretary delegate of the Mayor
Appeared: Michele Giusfredi (sp.?), aged 31, farmer, residing in Caselli and Giovanni Bacci, aged 60, farmer, residing in Carraia (sp.?)
At 5:00 A.M. (no minutes) at No. 22 (is this an address?)
Deceased: Francesco Pelosi, aged 88, farmer (wow - 88 years old?)
Resident of Badia Castagnano, born in detto ______?
Of Deceased Antonio (or is the "Gio" an abbreviation for something - perhaps Giorgio??... also, I know "gia" means already, so is the usage for Antonio here, i.e., already deceased? Seems like it's redundant to "fu", so I'm probably wrong here...)
And of deceased Caterina Casstieri (sp.?) living in this region?
Husband of: Serafina Martinelli (this is Francesco's spouse, correct? And not yet deceased?)
Witnesses: Giuseppe Frediani, age 63, farmer and Nicolas Centoni (sp.?), aged 63, ____idente??

Finally, no cause of death? Does one need the estratto (extract) to determine that?

It's really great to get not one, but two (2!) new pieces of information from this record that I previously didn't have: Francesco's parents, Antonio and Caterina. Also, is helpful to know that Francesco's wife's name (Serafina Martinelli) reconciles with one other record that I've seen before.

Thanks in advance. This is my first go-'round with the atti di morte. It's confusing how indices can be on one particualr link, which includes a series of actual death records, but the death records tying to that index are actually on another completely different link... :?

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Death record translation help

Postby Joannsalvo » 04 Aug 2014, 01:35

His name is probably Gioantonio, I have seen first names combined like this many times.
Witnesses: Giuseppe Frediani, age 63, farmer and Nicolas Centoni (sp.?), aged 63,Possidente (land owner /property owner)

It's very rare to see a cause of death on a death record.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 04 Aug 2014, 01:40

mjclayton1 wrote:Numero: 484

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350158201

This is what I get out of it:

Date of record: 15 Jul 1887 at 11:10 In the A.M.
Before: Cesare Mariani, Secretary delegated by the mayor
Appeared: Michele Giusfredi (yes), aged 31, farmer, residing in Caselli and Giovanni Bacci, aged 60, farmer, residing in Carraia (yes)
At 5:00 A.M. (no minutes) located in Badia Cantignano No. 22 (is this an address?)
Deceased: Francesco Pelosi, aged 88, farmer (wow - 88 years old?)
Resident of Badia Castignano, born in detto popolo______? born in the already stated community
Of Deceased GioAntonio (or is the "Gio" an abbreviation for something - perhaps for Giovanni usually Giorgio??... also, I know "gia" means already, so is the usage for Antonio here, i.e., already deceased? Seems like it's redundant to "fu", so I'm probably wrong here...) does seem redundant, but both were already deceased
And of deceased Caterina Cantieri (sp.?) living in this sezione (section)
Husband of: Serafina Martinelli (this is Francesco's spouse, correct yes? And not yet deceased?) yes
Witnesses: Giuseppe Frediani, age 63, farmer and Nicolas Centoni (yes), aged 63,possidente

Finally, no cause of death? Does one need the estratto (extract) to determine that? Not usually a cause of death given in the Italian records

*Badia di Cantignano, Coselli and Carraia are all frazioni or hamlets of the town of Capannori.

It's really great to get not one, but two (2!) new pieces of information from this record that I previously didn't have: Francesco's parents, Antonio and Caterina. Also, is helpful to know that Francesco's wife's name (Serafina Martinelli) reconciles with one other record that I've seen before.

Thanks in advance. This is my first go-'round with the atti di morte. It's confusing how indices can be on one particualr link, which includes a series of actual death records, but the death records tying to that index are actually on another completely different link... :?

mjclayton1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mjclayton1 » 04 Aug 2014, 02:11

Thanks, joannsalvo and erudita74. Some real good info there. Appreciate your help... :D

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 04 Aug 2014, 04:07

mjclayton1 wrote:Thanks, joannsalvo and erudita74. Some real good info there. Appreciate your help... :D

You're very welcome.
Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”