re:atto di nascita comune di santa lucia del mela

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re:atto di nascita comune di santa lucia del mela

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 04 Aug 2014, 16:48

i'm trying to find a birth record for mattia rigulo.according to her marriage to domenico bonarrigo in santa lucia del mela in 1845 she was born in san filippo del mela.but there are no civil registers found for any years before 1834 in either the lds film collection nor the antenati website for this comune.i'm told san filippo del mela was actually part of santa lucia del mela until 1853 so i checked the registers of birth there for the years of possible birth 1820-1825 but found nothing.my only hope is that,since writing to the comune of san filippo del mela,there are pre 1834 records found there.i'm trying to cover all the bases here.any other suggestions would be welcome.thanks

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: re:atto di nascita comune di santa lucia del mela

Postby PippoM » 06 Aug 2014, 21:13

I saw the marriage act of Domenico and Mattia: she was 26 in 1845, so she should have been born in 1818/9; this means her birth act should not be found in neither town.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 07 Aug 2014, 02:47

i have the marriage,and its possible that she was born about 1818/19,before civil registration.but according to her daughter maria bonarrigo's birth in 1847,she was 22,meaning she could have been born as late as 1825.domenico gave his age as 24 in early 1845,meaning he was born about 1820/21.but i wrote to his comune of birth,oppido mamertina in reggio calabria.he was born in 1818.so it appears all different ages were given for people,not just in this instance.if i could at least check the births in san filippo or santa lucia for the years 1820-1825 i could be certain.it seems no one gave their correct age at any time,whether it was marriage or baptism.even when a person died,the one who reported the death often gave the incorrect age.the only sure way to know is to check the records and verify the correct date

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 08 Aug 2014, 18:00

As far as my experience goes, marriage acts are the ones where you usually find the right age. In fact, people had to provide documents that are usually found in "processetti", when available (birth or baptism of spouses, death of parents and GPs); so, the registrar knew how old they were. In other cases, the declarants did not necessarily know ages (not even of themselves!). Anyway, it might be worth to take a look at birth acts of that time for Santa Lucia. For instance, if in Santa Lucia acts you find declarations of birts that took place in San Filippo, and you don't find the one regarding Mattia, you can reasonably sure that she was born out of that time.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 09 Aug 2014, 00:34

i've written to both the civil offices in san filippo and santa lucia.if no birth record is found in either comune,then i'll have to assume mattia was born before 1820.her husband,domenico bonarrigo,gave his age as 24 in january 1845,which would make him born about 1820/21.but it was actually 1818.a rule of thumb i go by is this:say an event-birth of a child,a marriage,or a death occurred before july 1st,i work on the assumption that whatever age is given,a possible birthday is coming up.example:in january 1845 mattia is listed as 26 and domenico as 24.as january is early in the year,most likely each had an upcoming birthday.that would mean 1818 for mattia and 1820 for domenico.just a general rule.but as i said,mattia gave her age at the birth of son francesco in late 1845 as 20,and she gave 22 at the birth of daughter maria in late 1847 as 22,making her born possibly as late as 1825.i'll see what i get from these inquiries.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”