Researching ancestors beyond the city in Italy (far back)?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Researching ancestors beyond the city in Italy (far back

Postby JamesBianco » 23 Jun 2005, 06:21

vineviz wrote:The best approach to research, in my opinion, is to put in the hours upon hours with the LDS films until there is absolutely nothing left for them to offer you. Do so knowing that you will probably do a better job than any professional researcher could at any price. Unless, of course, you just don't have the time or the patience in which case a pro is your only bet.

I could not have said that better.

Jim :)
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby john_dominic » 29 Jun 2005, 07:59

Ok, I thank everyone for their help.

I seem to have a plan now.

James, thanks for the record for the Carini records. If I need them, I guarantee i'll use them, but seeing that my family is from Caccamo, Santa Cristina Gela, Piana degli Albanesi, Trecastagni and/or Pedara, I don't think it's all that likely.

One last question:

Are there any records before the Riveli?

The earliest of my Rivelis goes to is 1584, and i'm just curious on what the limit, known to you experts, is.

Are there any records in the 1400s?
Are there any records in the 1300s?
Are there any records before that (maybe back to the Saracens)?

And, since my mother asked - are there any way to connect to Italian/Bourbon Royalty? (not that it matters or even is probable, since my family is all peasantry).

Just curious...

-J
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby john_dominic » 01 Jul 2005, 00:54

No answers :(

Thanks, anyway.

John
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JamesBianco » 01 Jul 2005, 01:22

john_dominic wrote:Are there any records before the Riveli?

The earliest of my Rivelis goes to is 1584, and i'm just curious on what the limit, known to you experts, is.

Are there any records in the 1400s?
Are there any records in the 1300s?
Are there any records before that (maybe back to the Saracens)?

And, since my mother asked - are there any way to connect to Italian/Bourbon Royalty? (not that it matters or even is probable, since my family is all peasantry).

Just curious...

-J

Well, if you are lucky enough to have ancestry in a larger city such as Palermo there would be church records back into the mid/late 1300's (I am not sure how easily they are to decifer, but filming has been done). Beyond the 1500's for the common Sicilian village? This would be very difficult, and if the family was not posessing wealth or property then your chances are slim to find further generations.

Now on the Royalty issue. Noble families existed all over Sicily, local landed gentry for the most part. You could very well connect to one of these. This was a caste system (so to speak) it would be unheard of to connect to a Royal Bourbon line from a sicilian peasant.

Jim :)
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Previous

19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy