Giovanni Valente and Rosaria Bellezza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
John1976

Giovanni Valente and Rosaria Bellezza

Post by John1976 »

I am trying to find out any info about these people who emigrated to New York from (Salise Sonsana, Compania) Italy about 1877-80 with their son Antonio. I cannot find them on the shiplist coming into New York.
Giovanni was b. abt. 1852 and his wife Rosaria abt. 1855. Antonio was born abt. 1873 in Italy. They may have married about 1872-73.
Also,does Italy have Birth Certificates, Christening records and Marriage Certificates for the dates above.
I'm not sure of the correct spelling of the place where they were from, I found it on one of the papers that I have on them.
Hoping someone can help me.

Thanks,
John
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Giovanni Valente and Rosaria Bellezza

Post by ricbru »

Hello john,
the town is SALA CONSILINA.

This is the LDS microfilm about Sala consilina civil records

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

In this microfilm you may find Antonio birth record

Indice decennale (nati) 1866-1875 Nati 1866-1893 FHL INTL Film

You can contact Sala Consilina civil reocrds office

Comune di Sala Consilina - Via Mezzacapo 44 - 84036 (SA) - Tel. 0975 525211 - Fax 0975 525268 -

stato.civile@comune.sala-consilina.salerno.it

If you can't write Italian, here there is a web site that helps you to write civil records requests

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I hope it helps, bye ricbru
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Have you found this family on any US census reports? If so could you post a link, or tell us the year and where they were found.

All records you mentioned are available in Italy, but they are in the town or comune the event occured in. Church records are usually harder to get, but it depends on the priest. Some records have been filmed by the LDS church and are available on microfilm. First the town has to be identified.

Debbie
John1976

Post by John1976 »

Thank you Ricbre, will check out all the links that you sent to me.

Hi Debbie, In the 1880 census it has the name as Volento, John, Rosa, Antino and Angelo born here so it states with 2 other people. I cannot find them in 1900 or 1910 census. I have to assume the above is them. They were living at Mulberry St. at that time.

They had 14 children, 4 died. I also found 2 of the Birth Certificates for the children, the first one dated Sept. 1880 and Antonio's Death Cert. He died March 1881 at the age of 8, born In Italy died here.

The timeframe could be more like 1873-1879 when they emigrated.

Thanks for your help.

John
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is the census from 1880:

http://img95.echo.cx/img95/6466/1880a4bj.jpg
http://img96.echo.cx/img96/1862/1880b6di.jpg

I will look tomorrow and see if I can find anthing on later censuses. What are the names of the 14 children?

At least you have a town name and can check there for birth records.

Debbie
John1976

Post by John1976 »

Hi Debbie,

A friend of mine found them in the 1920 Census..........I should have mentioned yesterday that they also went by the name of VALENTINE....but no one can find them in the 1900 or 1910 Census...................In the 1920 census the names are Joh, Rosa, and Joe Valentine. She is not sure of the date of arrival, She said it looks like 1890, but they were here at that time. I do not have a copy of it.

The names of the children are: Angelo, Anthony, Mary, Arcangela/Clara, Pasquale/Patsy, Teresa/Katie, Charles, Angelina/Julia, Rosa, Michael, Rosina/Rose and Joseph.

The children that died in the 1880's I did not include in the above

Some of the steets that they lived on were Thompson St. Minetta Lane, and Mulberry St.

Thanks for all of your help.

John
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

1920 census. What state, county and town do they live in? What is the first and last name (as written) of the person listed as head ?

Debbie
John1976

Post by John1976 »

They always lived in Manhattan, New York, USA

John was the head, they have him spelled as Joh in the 1920 census.................John died in 1926 so he should have been in the 1900 & 1910 census, also...... unless somehow he was overlooked.............or his name was not spelled correctly.............
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

John1976 wrote:They always lived in Manhattan, New York, USA

John was the head, they have him spelled as Joh in the 1920 census.................John died in 1926 so he should have been in the 1900 & 1910 census, also...... unless somehow he was overlooked.............or his name was not spelled correctly.............
Hi All,

I need another set of eyes on this one. Tell if any of you think this looks like "Jonni" and Rosa?

This is the 1900 Census.

Name: Angelo Valentine
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 7, Kings, New York
Age months: 10
Estimated birth year: 1900
Birthplace: New York
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Image source: Year: 1900; Census Place: Brooklyn Ward 7, Kings, New York; Roll: T623 1046; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 71.

It looks like

John
Rosa
Bart
Michele
Peppino
Anthony
Francesco
Angelo
Maria

The names are so badly butchered. Also, most of the children per this census were born in Italy. Also, John's and Rosa's birth years are off.

Sorry it's just a shot in the dark here!

Thanks
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
John1976

Post by John1976 »

I want to thank everyone that tried to find them in the Census and emigrating to America. This is really a great site....
John