is this a photo of an Agnone cemetery?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joetucciarone
Rookie
Rookie

is this a photo of an Agnone cemetery?

Postby joetucciarone » 21 Aug 2014, 22:40

This picture was in a pile of large-format negatives, shot by my great-grandpa between 1902 and 1910. He lived in Hubbard, Ohio but this looks like no cemetery in Ohio! We know he spent the summer of 1907 in Agnone, Italy, so we're guessing that he brought his camera.

Have any of you ever seen a cemetery like this in Agnone?

Thanks,

Joe Tucciarone
Agnone_cemetery_c1907.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joetucciarone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: is this a photo of an Agnone cemetery?

Postby joetucciarone » 22 Aug 2014, 20:50

If the photo was taken around noon, the shadows show that the view is toward the northwest, so if this is a cemetery near Agnone, it must be south of the comune. A modern map shows that there is a cemetery about half-a-mile south of the Stadio Civitelle in the center of Agnone. Does anyone know what the name of that cemetery is? My great-grandpa's mother died in 1874, eight years before he left Agnone for the U.S., so maybe she's buried here.

Joe

joetucciarone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby joetucciarone » 26 Aug 2014, 20:30

I sent a copy of the cemetery picture to an acquaintance in Agnone, and asked him if the cemetery was the one appearing on maps just south of the village. Here is his reply, after I ran it through the Google translator:

"Thanks Joe !!!! is a picture that Agnone did not know anyone has! is AN IMPORTANT HISTORICAL ARTIFACT, now the cemetery has expanded around the initial core that seen in the photo. The cemetery of Agnone has no particular name."

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 26 Aug 2014, 22:19

Wow! That is fantastic and something worth celebrating. Great initiative and thank you for feeding back. It's a great pic to have :)

Angela

Return to “Italian Genealogy”