Why 2 different spellings of the last name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Why 2 different spellings of the last name?

Postby ladominocrna » 03 Sep 2014, 21:55

Vincenzo Catalinotto and Antonia LoBue.jpg
4 May 1779 Vincenzo Catalinotto Baptism.jpg

From the above documents, can someone try to explain to me why there are 2 different spelling of the last name....Catalanotto, Catalinotto. Both documents are from the same family and both are from Corleone.

The Birth Act is from 4 May 1779 and the Marriage from 1802
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Why 2 different spellings of the last name?

Postby adelfio » 03 Sep 2014, 22:02

In Corleone there are two different surnames Catalinotto and Catalanotto priest could nave had a senior moment

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 113yearslater » 03 Sep 2014, 22:11

A lot of times if people couldn't read, they didn't really know how to spell their own name, and that left the record-keeper to decide for them and maybe spell it the way that someone else they knew spelled it.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Sep 2014, 23:23

The clerks who were as human as we are suffered from poor vision and or and often worked in poor lighting conditons... The late 1700's were not known for improved visual enhancements. Benjamin Franklin experimented with improving eyesight in Philadelphia in the late 1700's and developed the Bi-focal glasses but that's about it.Peter
~Peter~

ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Postby ladominocrna » 04 Sep 2014, 00:50

All interesting answers. Marty it is funny you say that about the 2 different surnames. From what I have been researching and it has been about 3 years, I will say that I am not an expert. Catalinotto in the late 1700's - early 1800's was used interchangeable with Catalanotto. Then Catalinotto completely disappeared and all I have been finding is Catalanotto. Currently I am in the 1600's church records and all I have been finding is Catalanotto and Catalanotto all the way thru 1700's. What can you tell me about that? I can also tell you that the first Catalinottos to leave Corleone and make the journey to the US was about 1870-1880.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 04 Sep 2014, 01:51

Actually, to me the name looks like it is spelled "Catarinotto" in the bottom image. But having multiple spellings of the same name was pretty common in early 19th-c. Sicily. I've always seen it spelled Catalanotto in Agrigento province, but recently I saw a case where a woman with the name Catalanotto was sometimes referred to as Catalano, a completely different name.

ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Postby ladominocrna » 04 Sep 2014, 02:26

I have to agree with you, but in all the documents i have read through i don't recall coming across the spelling as Catarinotto. I have seen many Catalano and have wonder about that spelling too. Thanks for the response.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”