san filippo delmela messina civil records before 1834

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

san filippo delmela messina civil records before 1834

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i'm searching for a birth record in san filippo del mela ca.1820-1825.i wrote to the comune with no response so far.i also checked both the http://www.antenati online website and the lds film collection.neither site shows any civil records for this comune before 1834.as civil records in sicily are pretty standard from 1820 onwards,its odd that the years 1820-1833 are missing.does anyone out there have any insight into this?i was hoping the comune would get back to me,with information regarding this,but after 3 letters i've recieved no response.any information would be most welcome.thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: san filippo delmela messina civil records before 1834

Post by adelfio »

John did you send a photo id with your request for birth record in san filippo del mela

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

photo i.d.? never heard of that one marty.like many italian comunes i've written to over the years,i just construct a letter of request in italian for what i'm looking for.i either get the record,or an explanation of why the record wasn't found.never any mention of a photo i.d.i'm just trying to access a birth record for the time period 1820-1825,and if theres a reason why civil records for this comune aren't available before 1834.were they lost or gone missing?were they never compiled?are they somewhere else? as most civil records in sicily began in 1820,why are there no records available here before 1834? both lds and the http://www.antenati websites are the same.no records in san filippo before 1834.very odd
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

it appears that the civil records for san filippo del mela prior to 1834 are held in santa lucia del mela.possibly san filippo del mela was part of santa lucia del mela until 1834?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The first Mayor of San Filippo Del Mela commenced in 1853? Peter
~Peter~
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i just recieved an email from the archivio di stato in messina.they stated that civil records prior to 1834 for the comune of san filippo delmela(1820-1833)are held in santa lucia delmela.starting in 1834 records are kept in san filippo delmela.i'm searching in the 1820-1825 time period.it would appear that the 2 comunes were somehow joined up to 1834,with san filippo separating from santa lucia starting in 1834.otherwise,why would pre 1834 records for san filippo be kept in santa lucia?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:John did you send a photo id with your request for birth record in san filippo del mela

Marty
In the US a lot of states and counties require photo id to get records A lot of the comunes and state archives require the same. Some places require a application for records thats notarized They want to know who is getting these records you are requesting

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats never been an issue marty.not in the last 15 years of my research in any comune in italy.as i was saying,i was searching for a birth record in san filippo del mela ca.1820-25,and the archivio di stato said that pre 1834 records are kept in santa lucia del mela.this led me to think that these 2 comunes were somehow united as one prior to 1834-possibly separating in 1834 as civil records for the time period from then are kept in san filippo del mela.so photo id is not an issue in requesting records-at least not in my experience.this situation is more of trying to find out which comune has the correct records i'm researching.and finally,that question was answered by the archivio di stato in messina.i guess thats resolves my question.now i can check the civil records in santa lucia del mela ca.1820-1825.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I sent for records in Trabia no response. Next time I made a request I included photo id with my next request got my records from them.

Marty

Marty
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

interesting.never tried that.but in my cases,its usually a matter of missing records or the incomplete or scanty information that i had to work with that has caused the lack of responses or negative findings.i find that any time i've had solid leads to work with,the civil offices or state archives will usually come through.