Vidile (possibly Vidili)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MegKiz

Vidile (possibly Vidili)

Postby MegKiz » 06 Sep 2014, 22:04

Hello, I am looking for any information on my husbands family. His 2x great grandfather was Frank Vidile and according to a new york census he was born around 1866 in Italy. His wife was Filomina who was born sometime around 1869 in Italy. It is possible that the name comes from the surname Vidili which is prominent in Sardegna, Italy. Any help would be appreciated!!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Vidile (possibly Vidili)

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Sep 2014, 02:57

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in Vidili for distribution. Bulk of Vidili in Sardegna and remainder of Italy.. Total 80 cities, towns and villages have persons surnamed VIDILI. VIDILE not found in Italy on that website. Peter
~Peter~

MegKiz

Postby MegKiz » 07 Sep 2014, 17:13

Thank you Peter. I actually already used a site similiar and that's why I was thinking they may be from that area, and also why I think the name was changed. What I have so far was Frank Vidile (most likely changed from Francesco Vidili) was born around 1866 in Italy, and arrived in New York in 1890 and again in 1904. His wife was Filomina ( I do not know her maiden name) and she was born around 1869. According to the 1920 census she immigrated sometime around 1906. I also believe that the two were married in Italy because they already had several children by the time Filomina joined him in New York.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Sep 2014, 17:22

Where did he go to live when he first arrived in the USA or perhaps when the rest of the family joined him in the USA? Peter
~Peter~

MegKiz

Postby MegKiz » 09 Sep 2014, 00:12

He lived in Mamaroneck, Westchester, New York. I'm not sure if that's where he lived when he first arrived, but that is where he lived in 1920 until his death. I have not been able to find any census records with him before 1920.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Sep 2014, 23:11

I am trying to figure out thru what port he entered into as an immigrant since NY ellisisland.org website does not reflect anything close to Vidili Vidile or Virdilli. I you knew the name of the town he came from in Italy that would be a great help to us both! I have one or two other sites to check out and will get back to you. Peter
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Sep 2014, 23:31

I am right behind him. He is(Francesco) FRANK VIDILE in both Mamaroneck, NY and Hicksville, N.Y. but I cannot get any telephone number in that VIDILE name so I think he may have entered at Boston or Philadelphia as an immigrant. I believe he may have had a son Robert Vidile who graduated high school in Mamorneck, NY and is probably his son. Peter
~Peter~

MegKiz

Postby MegKiz » 09 Sep 2014, 23:42

robert vidile is Frank Jrs. son. My mother in law remembers her mother (Sally Anne Vidile) talking about her uncle frank all the time, and her cousin Robert. Robert also had a son named Robert Jr. who is still alive and I have contacted him to see if he could help at all :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Sep 2014, 23:45

OK I called a Robert Vidile? here in my area of Yonkers,NY on the telephone and of course I explained and asked him to find out where Francesco came from in Italy and where did he get off the boat in the US. The person I spoke to is going to call me back (People get nervous and I have to give them lots of leeway to call me back and I explained to him that you are researching his GGgrandfather which is unusual for most people. Peter
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”