Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
295tro

Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Postby 295tro » 14 Sep 2014, 03:40

I am probably going to make a trip to the Connecticut State Library to go through their files—township by township—in search of a c.1895 marriage record for my great-grandparents. Does anybody on this board have any personal experience with that sort of task at this library? I will be crossing a few state lines to make the trip, so I want to hit the ground running, per se—would appreciate any tips or advice. (On-site library research doesn't really rank in my skill-set, unfortunately.) Either a response below, or via PM is fine. Thank you!

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Postby erudita74 » 15 Sep 2014, 13:52

What not contact the library staff there and ask your questions of them? They should be able to give you a better idea of what you are up against.

http://www.ctstatelibrary.org/sections/contact

Erudita

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 15 Sep 2014, 14:25

I have been in there. Be sure to ask up front exactly what you are looking for or it is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Within a few minutes, with assistance from the staff, I was directed to the Records Center in Rocky Hill. It saved me hours of aggravation.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 15 Sep 2014, 15:37

Thanks for the replies, and I'll welcome any others that arrive here. I did contact the library directly on two occasions, and spoke with two different people there. They were very nice, answered basic questions about hours of operation, wi-fi access, etc., but both gave me a polite "good luck" when I started asking specifics about how best to go about such a search. So, I think the best advice for my specific task at that library would come from a source such as any member of this board who might have actually done some work there. (James, the Rocky Hill location is near that main library? Were you engaged in the same type of search?) Or, perhaps, somebody has some experience with Connecticut record sleuthing in particular, since that state seems to have been a problem unto its own when it comes to records from the later 1800s.

For instance, I've had no luck finding any information online about the c.1904 death of Joseph [Giuseppe] Spallone in Waterbury, CT. He is listed on the 1900 USA Census https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M97D-61M as "Spalone" (misspelled), with his wife Maria [maiden name probably "Corvelli"] and children. The only other records I can find online are Waterbury CT phone directories, and in 1905 his wife's name begins to appear with indication that she is a widow. I am trying to investigate this family because I believe this Joseph Spallone, a barber, may have been my great-grandmother's ([Maria] Rosaria Spallone http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/27353) brother. And she may have been living with him when she got married (according to a relative), and thus married around his location. I believe Joseph may have immigrated 1884-05-16 on the ship "Archimede" https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KD45-R22, and that this Waterbury "Spallone" couple may be the same Joseph Spallone and Maria Corvelli who were married in New York City 1892-09-22, Certificate #12463.

Thanks again for the replies, and I'd be grateful for any other library suggestions or search ideas!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 15 Sep 2014, 15:49

Here is an article from the NY Herald 1901... byline - Waterbury CT
It is about the death of two daughters (Anita and Josephine) of Joseph Spallone.

Bottom of page, third column: "Died from Fright at Sister's Death"

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper% ... Index=Z%3a\Index%20U-F-P&HitCount=2&hits=bbb+bbc+&SearchForm=C%3a\inetpub\wwwroot\Fulton_New_form.html&.pdf

I will see if I can find anything about Joseph's death.

T.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 15 Sep 2014, 16:12

Thank you, Tessa! You "masters" are always impressive!!!

This is the sort of information that explains why it is so difficult to find records using their children's names as additional search criteria. The only one I think I've found information about (with my very novice abilities) is their first son, who may be the same as https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JB7Z-YN5 / http://www.locategrave.org/l/1701138/Garibaldi-M-Spallone-HI a military veteran (CMM US NAVY WORLD WAR II). If he ever went by the name "John", then this record might also belong to him:

Connecticut, School Age Certificates, 1904–1911 Connecticut, School Age
Certificates, 1904–1911

Name: John Spallone
Birth Date: 23 Jul 1893
Birth Place: Waterbury Cab
Residence Date: 22 Sep 1909
Residence Place: Waterbury, Connecticut, USA
Father: Joseph Spallone
Mother: Mary Spallone

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Connecticut, School Age Certificates, 1904–1911 [database
on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013.
Original data: Connecticut. School Age Certificate Stub Volumes, 1903–1912.
Connecticut State Department of Education, Record Group 10. Connecticut State
Library, Hartford, Connecticut.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 15 Sep 2014, 21:42

Have not yet found an obit for Joseph Spallone...

However, here is a Naturalization Card dated 1900 for Joseph Spallone in Waterbury CT
This Petition was filed in District Court in Waterbury. The Volume and page # are indicated.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1840474

AND...Is this the family of Joseph Spallone in Waterbury CT in 1900 Census?

United States Census, 1900
Name: Joseph Spalone
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1900
Event Place: Waterbury city Ward 4, New Haven, Connecticut, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): W
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Years Married: 8
Birth Date: Aug 1854
Birthplace: Italy
Marriage Year (Estimated): 1892
Immigration Year: 1884
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Joseph Spalone Head M 46 Italy
Marie Spalone Wife F 35 Italy
Garbaldi Spalone Son M 7 Connecticut
Annita Spalone Daughter F 5 Connecticut
Frank Spalone Son M 4 Connecticut
Italia J Spalone Son M 2 Connecticut
Sirena Spalone Daughter F 0 Connecticut

And Giuseppe/Joseph's arrival in 1884?

Guiseppe Spallone
United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900
Name: Guiseppe Spallone
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 16 May 1884
Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Archimede
Birth Year (Estimated): 1856
Departure Port: Gibraltar, Naples & Palermo
Literacy: Unknown
Destination Place: NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment: Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID: 00080519
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1746097

T.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 15 Sep 2014, 22:28

EDIT: Yes, Tessa, that is correct; the information above is what I assume to be for my great-grandmother's brother, Joseph Spallone.

Thank you again, Tessa. I emailed a bit with somebody in the Boston archives about that Naturalization Card last year, and he said that the record (I never saw the actual record) did NOT include names of the parents for JOSEPH SPALLONE. The age for Joseph noted on this card does match that on the 1900 USA census cited above, though.

And that 1900 USA census also indicates a c.1892 marriage for JOSEPH SPALLONE and wife MARIA, which matches the entry that I found during an in-person visit to the records hall in New York City: Certificate #12463, New York City, 1892-09-22. And the first name of both the father and mother listed for Joseph (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F6QQ-YGQ) are a match with those you translated for me over a year ago (http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/27353) from my great-grandmother, [Maria] Rosaria Spallone's birth record in Macchia Valfortore, Italy.

One of my intermediate goals (Holy Grail, primary goal being the discovery of the marriage certificate for my great-grandparents) is to somehow confirm that the names of the parents for this Waterbury JOSEPH SPALLONE are a definite match; and/or that the maiden name of the wife Maria was in fact "Corvelli", which would achieve the same in my consideration. Then I'd know for sure that this is the last shot and should laser-beam here.

FYI: I was at a total dead-end after your help way back, but then this entire connection started based upon a long-lost relative's recollection that my great-grandmother, [Maria] Rosaria Spallone's brother was named "Joseph", that he was a barber, and that he lived in Connecticut at the time of the marriage (c.1895) of my great-grandparents. To reiterate, this relative also thinks that my great-grandmother was living with Joseph at that time, was introduced to her future husband by Joseph (may have been a barbershop customer of Joseph's), and was probably married at Joseph's church or somewhere in Connecticut before moving to New York City. I already received a NEGATIVE search from Waterbury, CT, and several of the local churches. But I'm not exactly sure where my great-grandfather was living at the time, so maybe nearby but with different churches. (If this connection is bolstered a bit more, I can also try to find baptism records, etc., for Joseph's children to establish a family church.)

Thanks again for your continued help; that newspaper article was a real discovery. (I had always considered the idea of some kind of personal catastrophe [fire, etc.] since there was just that 1900 USA Census and then so little afterward.)

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 16 Sep 2014, 17:37

I went to the CT State Library to search for some WWI records. While there my cousin asked if I could find some information on his GGF. I asked a few questions to a member of the staff. They were very helpful and made a few calls for me. I was directed to Rocky Hill, CT. (15 minutes south).
The library has a vast amount of information. I was glad to have located such help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Sep 2014, 19:43

Thank you again, Tessa. I emailed a bit with somebody in the Boston archives about that Naturalization Card last year, and he said that the record (I never saw the actual record) did NOT include names of the parents for JOSEPH SPALLONE. The age for Joseph noted on this card does match that on the 1900 USA census cited above, though.

I am a bit confused by what you stated above.
Why would you contact the Boston Archives for a Naturalization that was filed in a District Court in Waterbury, Connecticut? NARA (if that is the Boston Archive you are talking about) does not hold ALL naturalization records. I would suggest you contact the District Court in Waterbury.

As to Joseph Spallone's age on the Nat. Card... He states that he is 45 (in Oct. 1900)
The Census has him as age 46 in 1900.
This is a VERY CLOSE match based on how inaccurate the Census can be :-)

ALSO... a quick question-
Where did you get the name Maria CORVELLI? for his wife.
You may wish to contact Vital Records in Connecticut to get a copy of Garibaldi Spallone's birth record. Mother's maiden name should be on there. :-)

T.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 16 Sep 2014, 20:33

James Graham wrote:I was directed to Rocky Hill, CT. (15 minutes south).

Thanks for the clarification, James.

Tessa78 wrote:Why would you contact the Boston Archives for a Naturalization that was filed in a District Court in Waterbury, Connecticut? NARA (if that is the Boston Archive you are talking about) does not hold ALL naturalization records. I would suggest you contact the District Court in Waterbury.

Where did you get the name Maria CORVELLI? for his wife.
You may wish to contact Vital Records in Connecticut to get a copy of Garibaldi Spallone's birth record. Mother's maiden name should be on there. :-)

The representative at the National Archives at Boston emailed that Joseph Spallone's Petition for Naturalization was found, but that it contained no information about his children or wife. I assumed that's all there was available, for some reason.

The name Maria CORVELLI for the wife comes from that marriage certificate that I found in New York City (linked in a post above). The names of Joseph's parents on that certificate are a match with those for my great-grandmother—they are from Macchia Valfortore. Then with my distant relative's recollection of my great-grandmother's brother being a barber named Joseph in Connecticut....

But I do want to establish it firmly, so a birth record for Garibaldi Spallone in the hopes of matching the mother's maiden name is a good idea.

By the way, I did locate a ship manifest for a Maria Spallone, already married, last residence listed as "Macchia", husband "Giuseppe", but no great clues in it:

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Maria Spallone
Arrival Date: 29 Sep 1897
Birth Date: abt 1864
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Burgundia

Thanks again for all of this help; keeps my brain thinking!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Sep 2014, 21:24

Thank you for the additional information.

I must apologize... a DISTRICT court's naturalizations WOULD be at NARA since it is a Federal Court...

That being said...
I do not think the manifest you found for Maria Spallone in 1897 is YOUR Maria.
She is going to husband Giuseppe in New York (which was written over a crossed out Philadelphia)
I believe they would have been in Connecticut at that time, correct?

T.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 16 Sep 2014, 22:00

Yes, they were in Connecticut at that time. I don't put much weight on that manifest; it's something I merely keep in my possibilities folder because the names match, Macchia is indicated, and the c.1864 birth date for the ship manifest Maria is close to the c.1865 birthdate for the Waterbury census Maria; as you know, that's really not much in the big scheme of things—especially when it comes to names like "Maria"!

PS: I'm actually not sure they were in CT at the time of Garibaldi Spallone's birth, so I'll probably have to see if Anita or Josephine had their births registered with Waterbury.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Sep 2014, 01:06

295tro wrote:Yes, they were in Connecticut at that time. I don't put much weight on that manifest; it's something I merely keep in my possibilities folder because the names match, Macchia is indicated, and the c.1864 birth date for the ship manifest Maria is close to the c.1865 birthdate for the Waterbury census Maria; as you know, that's really not much in the big scheme of things—especially when it comes to names like "Maria"!

PS: I'm actually not sure they were in CT at the time of Garibaldi Spallone's birth, so I'll probably have to see if Anita or Josephine had their births registered with Waterbury.

Very good idea!
You might also check the death record for Anita and Josephine since you know they died in Waterbury in May 1901 according to the newspaper article... maybe more information there?

Have you also seen this POSSIBLE SSI Death Index for Garibaldi Spallone?
Birth year is correct.

Garibaldi Spallone
United States Social Security Death Index
Given Name: Garibaldi
Surname: Spallone
Birth Date: 23 July 1893 (May be a coincidence...but same date as the JOHN Spallone you found in the Connecticut School Certificates in 1909)
Social Security Number: XXX-XX-XXX (I have sent you the SS# in a PM)
State: Hawaii
Event Date: March 1965
You can request his Social Security application (SS-5)
It will tell you where he was born, and USUALLY indicates the names of his parents, including maiden name of mother.
Request (for a fee) at this site
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

T.

295tro

Postby 295tro » 17 Sep 2014, 19:18

Tessa: Thanks for the PM; would you let me know if you receive my reply, please? (I'm not sure my outgoing is working properly.)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”