Need Help with this name Cutinello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need Help with this name Cutinello

Postby Klewan » 24 Jun 2005, 04:10

Hi:

It seems strange to me that I have researched this name in USA and there seems to be quite a few Cutinello's in US, but when I try to find any in Italy there are none. Can any one help with would the reason for this would be? I am thinking that maybe it has another spelling, but I am at a loss of where to find spelling varaiations of Italan last names.

Sincerely,

Karen
Klewan

Re: Need Help with this name Cutinello

Postby brujaojos » 24 Jun 2005, 06:43

Klewan wrote:Hi:

It seems strange to me that I have researched this name in USA and there seems to be quite a few Cutinello's in US, but when I try to find any in Italy there are none. Can any one help with would the reason for this would be? I am thinking that maybe it has another spelling, but I am at a loss of where to find spelling varaiations of Italan last names.

Sincerely,

Karen

Dear Karen,

Can you please give us a first name of who you are looking for? And/or any information so that we can help you a little bit better.

This is what I found in Ellis Island.

Cutinello,Caterina Marsicovetere 1903 1
Cutinello,Francesco Marsicovetere 1903 6
Cutinello,Loredo Castellamon, Italy 1913 41

Remember the spelling could be off, so if we have a first name an approximate age, we might be able to help you more. Also remember there were other Ports besides Ellis Island that could support clues as to where your ancestors are from.

Here is a link to Infobel. This might help you find some relatives still in Italy.

http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/default.asp

Hope it helps

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Jun 2005, 16:29

Klewan wrote:Hi:

Sincerely,

Karen

and also are on ellis island:
name placename year of arrival age
1. Catreina Cutinella Routi, Italy 1913 29
2. Domenica Cutinella 1905 19
3. Giuseppe Cutinella Mausicoretere 1902 28
4. Rosa Cutinella Ruoti 1905 60
5. Nicola/Mana Cotinello Casacalenda, Campobasso 1910 18

-the Cutinello surname in Italy currently not exist, perhaps in the past,
-sure are CUTINELLA, just some person... is very rare;
-ditto for CUTINELLI;
-more diffused is CATINELLO
- and many diffused is CATINELLA
so is possible that Cutinello was an version of original surname Catinella... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Klewan » 24 Jun 2005, 17:21

Hi and Thanks for the information. The family I am seeking is Rocco Cutinella and Carmella Triane. I have dug into the Ellis Island Records on these names and am still hitting a road block. I have learned that the name of Triane is probably Troiano. Catarina (Rocca and Carmella's daughter) Cutinella married my Great Grandfather Angelo on January 5, 1893. My question how do I find the city in Italy where Cutinella, Curtinella, Cuitnella comes from, if there is no longer anyone by that name in Italy? I have Carmella's death certificate and it states only Italy. I am perplexed on this one. I can try ship manifests but have no idea when they came over. If Catarina's age is correct on her marriage paperwork than she was born in 1876. I have been thinking I should write to the few Cutinella's in US and see what they may know. When I get to Potenza area maybe the mystery will be solved, if I find them in the reocords there. Any input greatly appreciated.

Karen
Klewan

Postby vineviz » 24 Jun 2005, 18:44

Klewan wrote: My question how do I find the city in Italy where Cutinella, Curtinella, Cuitnella comes from, if there is no longer anyone by that name in Italy?

Since there are Cutinellos in the immigration records (I found a Fran(cesco) Cutinello in the NY Passenger lists on Ancestry.com also, from what looks to be Ruati), I would make a list of every Cutinello you can find and see if a pattern emerges in town of origin.

There are seven Cutinellos in the Social Security Death Index, for instance, and you can write away and request (for $27 each) a copy of the original SS-5 application. This application should list for each the following:

Full name
Full name at birth (including maiden name)
Present mailing address
Age at last birthday
Date of birth
Place of birth (City, county, state)
Father's full name "regardless of whether living or dead"
Mother's full name, including maiden name, "regardless of whether living or dead"
Sex and race
Ever applied for SS number/Railroad Retirement before? Yes/No
Current employer's name and address
Date signed
Applicant's signature

I also found (on Ancestry.com) a WW1 draft card for a Tony Cutinello (born 23 Jan 1885) who stated that he was a citizen of "Italy (Naples)".

Assemble enough clues, and maybe something will come to you. This "needle in a haystack" approach can be frustrating, I know, but it often yields results if you stick at it long enough.
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby vineviz » 24 Jun 2005, 18:50

Also, for what it's worth, there is a town called Cottanello near Rieti.

http://www.sabina.it/comuni/cottanello.htm
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 24 Jun 2005, 18:51

Klewan wrote:Hi and Thanks for the information. The family I am seeking is Rocco Cutinella and Carmella Triane. I have dug into the Ellis Island Records on these names and am still hitting a road block. I have learned that the name of Triane is probably Troiano. Catarina (Rocca and Carmella's daughter) Cutinella married my Great Grandfather Angelo on January 5, 1893. My question how do I find the city in Italy where Cutinella, Curtinella, Cuitnella comes from, if there is no longer anyone by that name in Italy? I have Carmella's death certificate and it states only Italy. I am perplexed on this one. I can try ship manifests but have no idea when they came over. If Catarina's age is correct on her marriage paperwork than she was born in 1876. I have been thinking I should write to the few Cutinella's in US and see what they may know. When I get to Potenza area maybe the mystery will be solved, if I find them in the reocords there. Any input greatly appreciated.

Karen

Yes, the Carmela surname could be TROIANO/TRIANI tipical of Potenza area....
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 24 Jun 2005, 18:58

HI Karen,

Have you tried tracing your family back through the US census? That will provide year of immigration and naturalization status, or indicate born in the US. The most recent census is 1930 and they were done evey 10 years. If you need census look up help, please provide some details.

1930 - State, county and city they lived in
Name of husband and wife
names of children - born in Italy or in US and state
year of birth (or approximate)

These details will help find your family.

I have sent away for some social security records and the place of birth has always been "Italy". It is worth trying for a known ancestor, after all every document hold the potential answer. But, it seems it is the exception to have the city in Italy listed.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 24 Jun 2005, 19:13

Klewan wrote:Hi and Thanks for the information. The family I am seeking is Rocco Cutinella and Carmella Triane. I have dug into the Ellis Island Records on these names and am still hitting a road block. I have learned that the name of Triane is probably Troiano. Catarina (Rocca and Carmella's daughter) Cutinella married my Great Grandfather Angelo on January 5, 1893. My question how do I find the city in Italy where Cutinella, Curtinella, Cuitnella comes from, if there is no longer anyone by that name in Italy? I have Carmella's death certificate and it states only Italy. I am perplexed on this one. I can try ship manifests but have no idea when they came over. If Catarina's age is correct on her marriage paperwork than she was born in 1876. I have been thinking I should write to the few Cutinella's in US and see what they may know. When I get to Potenza area maybe the mystery will be solved, if I find them in the reocords there. Any input greatly appreciated.

Karen

Dear Karen,

Everyone here is giving you great clues to help you with your research. As VaDeb stated, start with Census records and work your way back. Here is the listing for the 1910 Census, and I know one of my dear friends on this website will post the actual census for you. (thank you)

Name: Rocco Cutinella
Age in 1910: 63
Estimated birth year: abt 1847
Home in 1910: 22-Wd Manhattan, New York, New York
Race: White
Series: T624
Roll: 1047
Part: 2
Page: 17A
Year: 1910

This is the only name close to R. Cutinella that I am finding coming into Castle Garden. However the year of birth is off compared to the 1910 census.

Name: R Catinella
Arrival Date: 20 Jun 1881
Estimated Birth Year: 1856
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Gibraltar
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Picardie
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 21
Microfilm Roll: 438
List Number: 815

I hope some of this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Jun 2005, 19:22

brujaojos wrote:Here is the listing for the 1910 Census, and I know one of my dear friends on this website will post the actual census for you. (thank you)

Here ya go Trish :)

1910 Rocco Cutinella
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby Klewan » 24 Jun 2005, 20:11

Oh thank you to everyone that is helping. The nformation is all wonderful, helpful and informative.

What happened to the name in Italy, why is there no longer anyone by that name?

Karen
Klewan

Postby VaDeb » 24 Jun 2005, 20:36

Klewan wrote:Oh thank you to everyone that is helping. The nformation is all wonderful, helpful and informative.

What happened to the name in Italy, why is there no longer anyone by that name?

Karen
The name in Italy exists in the form Suanj listed earlier. Your surname has changed from its original. This often happens, intentionally or accidently as the immigrant enters mainstream American culture.

YOu also have a year of immigration from the census. Looks like 1881 for Rocco and 1885 or 1888 for the wife. These records are before Ellis Island and that is why you couldn't find them there. They are both still aliens (AL) in 1930 so no naturalization records to look for. I would look for them on the 1900 census and see what they list for a year of immigration.

The daughter, Caterina, was not lilsted on the 1910 census. She married Angelo? in 1893. Where did they live and childrens names? I would look for them on the census and see what she listed as an immigration date. Also check a naturalization status. These papers can be a weath of information.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Jun 2005, 22:25

JamesBianco wrote:
brujaojos wrote:Here is the listing for the 1910 Census, and I know one of my dear friends on this website will post the actual census for you. (thank you)

Here ya go Trish :)

1910 Rocco Cutinella

In effect is Carmela(carmello mistaken) the name'swife on census manifest!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy